Monday, November 19, 2012

Better Than I Hoped!

Lilly was moved to a smaller paddock a few months ago because the three geldings that were pastured next to each other couldn't get along. They would get into fights over the fence and after knocking down boards and attacking each other, the BO decided he needed to do something about it. That meant Lilly was moved from her nice, large pasture to a smaller pasture and the aggressive horse was moved to her pasture. Now she separates the boys so there will be no more fighting. And people say mares are a pain in the ass... whatever!

The problem now is that the gelding that was moved into her pasture is obsessed with her. True to form, Lilly could give a crap about him, but he MUST SEE HER AT ALL TIMES. That was fine and dandy when I hardly ever took her out of the pasture, but now that we're starting to work again, he is completely freaking out when I bring her inside.

He raced around like an idiot the other day when I brought Lilly inside to trim her hooves and when his owner and trainer arrived for their lesson, I could tell they were a little upset. I guess I should have brought him inside because he could have hurt himself running around out there. So from now on, could I just bring him in and put him in the stall if I'm going to take Lilly out of the pasture? If I just grab him first, he'll be really easy to catch, and then I can go get Lilly. Oh, and just toss him back out when I'm done and Lilly is back in the pasture.

Of course I said I would, and I did today when I brought her out to ride, but really? I have to mess with someone else's horse every time I want to ride mine? Maybe I'm being a bit silly (or being a bitch) but I don't WANT to mess with your horse. He seems like a nice horse and he was a gentleman when I brought him in today, but I don't know him very well at all. What if something happens and he gets loose or he does something stupid in the stall while Lilly and I are in the arena? No doubt it'll be my fault somehow. And what exactly do you want me to do with him when Lilly and I are going to a show? Take him with me?

Am I overreacting?

But enough about my ranting... this is the adorable face I saw when I grabbed a few things from my horse trailer. She stood at the fence nickering at me. :)

I just love how much more white her snip has with her winter coat.
Do you see that dirt??!! I don't know what has happened to my princess while I've been away! I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride and she whinnied while she trotted over to the gate. It's possible she thought I was asking her if she was hungry, but I doubt that!

It was overcast, cool, and windy today, so on our way to the arena, there was some snorting and a few moments where she spooked in place. Then she freaked out about the pile of jump standards on the outside of the ring that she was sure would attack her at any moment. Not to mention, goober boy was in the stall screaming like a mad man for his girlfriend. I was starting to wonder what kind of ride we'd have.

I tightened up her girth, which I didn't need to let out by the way, and hopped on. She immediately went into business mode... her head went down and she flicked her ears back at me. She only spooked one other time during our ride, and that was when some weird 3-wheeled bicycle with a yellow flag on the back came tooling down the road. She did a little scoot and then turned her head to see what the heck it was. I got her attention back on me by asking for a leg yield and we were on our way.

She was wonderful today. I am so thankful that she's the kind of horse you can ignore for three months, and then when you get back on, she's ready to pick up where you left off. I couldn't believe the jog I got when I asked her for it. It was amazing, and she did excellent the entire ride.

Today turned into more of an evaluation rather than day 1 of our get-in-shape-plan. We jogged, we did some long trotting, we did some transitions, and I worked on loping quite a bit. Rather than doing one lap around the arena, though, I worked her on a circle, using half the arena. We'd go one time around and take a short break before loping again. She is really weak on her left lead and had a really tough time holding it together. We'd get about half way around and she'd switch leads in the back. She seemed pretty good on her right lead, but we'll have to work on strengthening her hindquarters. After a couple times around at the long trot, she was huffing and puffing but she did great at the jog. We worked for a total of about 30 minutes and then called it a day.

I'll have to adjust the routine a bit, I think, and work in some ground poles, as well as some other exercises to build up some muscle tone and get her stretching. I'll go through my fitness book and see what I can find in there.

When we got back to the barn, I took her outside for some conformation shots. She humored me as always, and stood still while I took the pictures.

Her "less white" side always looks less pudgy...
She looks thrilled, no?
I did notice that she seemed a bit tender on her right front during certain times during our ride. It wasn't bad, and just when I thought I felt something, she's be fine. I couldn't see anything when I had her jog some circles for me after I hopped off, but I think she's still a little tender on that hoof. It's the one she's been the most tender on since going barefoot, and also the one we had x-rayed. She had really thin soles and I'm not sure that she's grown much in the past year and three months since she's been barefoot. I'm anxious to see my trimmer on Friday to ask her about it and perhaps look at options. I'm worried that we might have to change course for next year's show season. Maybe we'll need a composite or rubber shoe for next year?

We had a great day and I'm looking forward to more of the same tomorrow!

17 comments:

  1. That's so funny how her whiter side makes her look more pudgy! I'm happy lily isn't obsessed with the gelding, but it really is unfair of them to think you should deal with him everytime you go to ride. I think that would be nice of you as a short term solution, like until his owner works with him and makes him understand he'll be fine without lily, and she's coming back, but I don't think that's a fair solution to ask of you at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of what I'm thinking too, Marissa... I don't mind doing it for a week or so, but I don't want to have to handle him every time I want to work with my horse. I'm not sure he'll get used to being without her if I bring him in every time either.

      Delete
  2. Ya I'm with Marissa, doesn't seem like it should be your responsibilty to make sure his horse isn't acting like an idiot. Also if he was my horse I'd be more afraid of him getting hurt in a small confined area than in a large one. At least in a large one he can run around like a fool and blow off some steam. But then that is just my opinion. Some people see things differently I guess. Still it seems like an awful impostition and putting you in a situation that could leave you liable for someone elses horse health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you... I'd rather my horse be outside running around like a dummy than have her in the stall where she could try to go over the door or something awful like that. You just never know with people these days... they'll sue over the smallest thing!

      Delete
  3. For the jumps, you could try making kind of a chute over a pole to start, I assume she'd go over a pole at least? Then raise one side then other to make tiny crossrail, etc.

    NO you are not overreacting, it might be something you want to ask the BO about if you're not comfortable with handling their horse. It's not your fault their gelding is a fruitcake, and the BO created this problem when he moved the horses. But maybe he'll get used to her being gone more now that you're back. If/when you get to know the people better it might be okay. I have brought many a horse in for barn mates I was friends with, but as a barn employee who already handles all the horses anyway, but who knows, they might be crazy and try to sue you for handling their horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure she'll go over a pole... and maybe if the pole was low enough, she'd do that too. Anything that makes her jump, though, is really not something she cares to do and sometimes she chooses just to plow right through them. L.A.Z.Y.

      They both seem like really nice people, and the horse seems nice, but you just never know. I've chatted with them a couple times, but I don't know how they would react be if something happened to him while I was handling him. I don't mind doing it a few times, but I don't want to have to do this for months and months, every single day.

      She usually takes her lessons in the morning, so I'm hoping I'll see her again soon and I can casually bring it up.

      Delete
  4. New Follower :) I love your blog - Lily is SO CUTE.

    I completely agree with what everyone has already said... They shouldn't have even thought to ask you to do this in the first place! I think it's absolutely ridiculous, and the fact of the matter is, that if this gelding gets hurt, you're right - it will probably end up on you. That is just unfair, and wrong. If it's becoming an issue, I think your B.O. should really be the one handling with this situation, and potentially moving the gelding elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And thanks for stopping by! I read through most of your blog last night and I am super jealous of the gorgeous scenery you have when you ride! And Jingle is adorable!!

      Delete
  5. So great that Lilly went right to work with a good attitude after her long vacation. What a good girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree that you should not be responsible for the gelding. Liability. Is there something in the contract about that? I mean it would be different if you are the BO or an employee of the facility then you are held reliable if something happens, but you are not. So it is not your responsibility. Hope it all works out!!
    That's fantastic that Lilly was ready to go back to work with little fuss after her extended vacation!! Such a good girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... if I was working for the barn or something, I'd probably be covered somehow. But I'm just a random boarder and I don't want that huge responsibility on my shoulders.

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear Lilly is doing you proud (one again!!). Cant wait to see her progress! (and she def doesnt look fat to me, just pleasantly plump! Hey, its the holidays! ;)

    As for the crazy lovestruck horse, if I were the owners I would have requested a different pasture, and hope my gelding didn't get as attached to that horse. I would never presume upon a stranger to drag my horse in AND out EVERY TIME THEY RIDE. What the crap? I mean okay, a friend, etc.
    Also, if it were my horse I would let him run and be an idiot until he got over it. Like others said, putting him in the stall is kind of scary!

    Hope it works out soon for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely pudgy, that's for sure!

      He seems a bit more calm in the stall, but there's so much less to be injured on the pasture. Hopefully I won't have to keep bringing him in for long!

      Delete
  8. I don't like handling other peoples' horses either. Maybe do it a couple times, then politely bow out? He's not your responsibility.

    Glad to hear she's so willing to return to work! Loved the wedding pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking... a few times and then it just seems like I did my part. He'll have to get used to it eventually.

      Thank you! :)

      Delete