Sunday, November 18, 2012

It's Go Time!

Tomorrow is the official start day of Operation Pudgy No More... you know, time to start riding my horse again. It has been a crazy summer and fall, with the wedding, honeymoon, and new home purchase, but I'm at a point now where I think we can start working on getting back in shape (me included).

It's been chilly outside these past few days, so I think the warm fall weather is gone and the chilly fall weather is here to stay. I have quite a bit of cold weather gear that I received last year, but didn't use too much because the winter was so mild. I don't think we'll get that lucky again this year... so hopefully it keeps me warm because I hate the cold. It'll be very easy to say, "it's too cold to ride today!", but I'm going to bundle up and push through.

Here's the schedule for next week, and also the following week. Lilly has been off for so long that I feel like I really need to start from scratch. She's not only out of shape, but she's overweight, so I want to take it easy with her.

Week 1 - 30 Minutes

Monday - Thursday
5 minutes of loose rein walking on the rail and over ground poles
5 minutes of contact walking, 30-meter circles, and leg yields
5 minutes of trotting on the rail - split in both directions
5 minutes of jogging off the rail - split in both directions
1 lap at the canter in each direction
5 minutes of contact walking cool down
5 minutes of loose rein walking cool down

Friday (My Thanksgiving Observed)
Hoof Trim Day

Saturday
5 minutes of loose rein walking on the rail and over ground poles
5 minutes of contact walking, 30-meter circles, and leg yields
5 minutes of trotting on the rail - split in both directions
5 minutes of jogging off the rail - split in both directions
1 lap at the canter in each direction
5 minutes of contact walking, 30-meter circles, and leg yields
5 minutes of loose rein walking cool down

Sunday - Friday
Days Off

Wait, what? That's right, just as things start ramping up, they must come to a screeching halt once again. Just for a week, though. As is often the case, I'll be working Christmas Day this year, which means getting home to see my family (and AJ) won't happen unless Christmas falls on December 3-7. So I'll be going home that week to see my family and celebrate the season with them. When I get back, though, it's back to Operation Pudgy No More!

Lilly won't be in shape by the end of that first week anyway, but maybe it'll get her in the mindset... work a week, off a week, work a week FOREVER MORE. :) We might have to seriously consider a body clip of some kind. I never did get around to doing that last year. I guess I'll see how it goes and decide from there.

I've used this workout many times before. I hate to count the number of times we've had to start over from scratch, actually... it has worked quite well for us, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has any exercises they like to include in their workouts. How do you bring your horse back from a long break?

8 comments:

  1. Super cool post! We're in fitness building mode too. I've been winging it in my sessions - now I can follow your lead. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably love a book I got a while ago. I use it A LOT and mix in most of the exercises from the book into our routine. I did a review on it here:
      rlilbitofcash.blogspot.com/2011/02/book-review-and-plan-ideas.html

      Delete
  2. After a long while of doing pretty much what you've described, we've added lunging over a small jump into our week. We have those nice low plastic jump blocks so I don't get the line caught on the standard. I think it's helping with building those tush muscles, that's the goal at least. We're also working on transitions and going back and forth from jog to extended posting trot and back at intervals to keep his mind working, progressively increasing the extended trot sessions, and helping him listening to my aids. And lots of carrot stretches before and after the rides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of small jumps... the problem is, I can't get Lilly to go over anything unless I'm on her back. Isn't that ridiculous? She will go around the far side (dragging me with her) or come in to the middle to avoid jumping over stuff. It's crazy. Maybe she's matured by now and I can try it again. I guess I could always do it in hand instead of on the longe line...

      Carrot stretches are out because of her fat belly, but I'm sure she'll stretch just as far for some kind of healthy cookie. MMM! :)

      Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very sensible plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope it gets her back in shape nice and gradual like!

      Delete
  4. Getting a horse back into shape is so tough! Its so frustrating how it takes so long to get them into shape, but it slides back off of them and turns into chunk so fast!

    Its great that your making yourself a set plan though, I think that will help get her back into shape faster! its easy to slack off, or not work as hard when you don't have a set plan, and this way you will be able to visibly see when she's getting back into shape, since she might be huffing and puffing the first day,but you'll be able to tell its working when she's able to complete that no problem and you can up her workout!

    I saw the comment about how she won't jump if your not on her, maybe you could try adding a small jump in a round pen if you have one available? At least then she would have less movement options to avoid the jump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might just have to adopt a version of your Operation Pudgy No More for my "fluffy" girl. It sounds really sensible.

    ReplyDelete