Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Time For Boots Again?

I'm crossing my fingers that the crazy-love-struck-gelding issue might be resolving itself! I left him outside today when I brought Lilly in and he ran around and called for her for quite some time. I ignored him. I figured if he was still acting like a dum-dum when I was ready to take her to the arena, I'd bring him in. When I was ready to take her out, he was calmly standing at the gate, so I hoped for the best and left for my ride. He whinnied a few times while we were gone, but he didn't run nearly as much as he did the previous couple times. Maybe he just needs a couple experiences like this to learn that she WILL be back. I'm not good with confrontations, so if this could just go away on its own, I'd be very happy. Here's hoping!

I had another great ride today. Lilly is doing so well that I'm really getting excited about next year's show season. We were starting to hit that sweet spot right when I had to stop showing earlier this year, so I'm very anxious about starting up again next year. I keep trying to bring myself back to reality and not think too far ahead, but it's hard when she's doing so well! I think next year we'll really concentrate on western and not try so hard to do both seats. I'm sure we'll end up in a few hunt seat classes, but our focus will definitely be on western. Maybe it's time to start shopping for a show saddle? (Actually, the thought of saddle shopping makes me ill...)

She was still a bit tender at times today during our ride. It was all I could do not to mess with her hooves when we got back to the barn, but I'm going to wait for my trimmer and see if it's something I'm doing wrong, if we're just still dealing with the thin sole issue, or if it's something else. It's odd to me that this is all starting now since we weren't having this issue back in the summer. I'm hoping it isn't from changing her feed to Enrich 32... she had previously been on a mostly grain free diet (just a handful of Ultium) and now she's on a pound of Enrich 32.

I'll need to start riding in the boots again if this keeps up, except I've decided I don't like the EasyBoot Trails. They're big and clunky and I can't do any pole work when she's wearing them because they get hung up on everything. It wouldn't be an issue if Miss Lazypants would pick up her feet, but she doesn't. It might be time to change to a new boot... one I can show with next year since we're planning an ambitious 2013 show season.

Don't be jealous of her braids!
Also, I don't know what I was thinking in my "It's Go Time" post, but I will also have all next week to ride before going home for Christmas. YAY! So we'll get in two good weeks before she gets a week off, and we should be able to get quite a bit accomplished.

7 comments:

  1. Have you thought about using renegades? Or glue ons? (both easy boot and renegade make good glue ons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking into the regular Renegade boots, but I don't think the glue-ons will work for me. From what EasyBoot told me, they're used more for weekend rides, and I really need something I can use over and over again, and remove when I need to.

      Delete
    2. I personally use renegades and LOVE them. They stay on even at a dead run up hill on my long strided mare. Easy to put on (no forcing them on) and they are made to be loose (I have had my straps come undone and they didn't move).

      Delete
  2. I don't know much about boots, but I've noticed a lot of the hard core endurance folks use Renegades. They must do a pretty good job to hold up to that type of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't personally know anyone with Renegades and my trimmer is an EasyBoot girl, but they seem like good boots and I've heard only good things about them. Plus, they come in nice colors!

      Delete
  3. Has anything else changed besides the grain? She's on a different pasture now, right? Has it been raining a lot? These could all add to her tenderness. If you can rule all those out as being the problem, then it's time to reassess the trim. Your trimmer has done a decent job so far but maybe she doesn't have the knowledge/technique to get Lilly over this last hump. There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion, I've gotten a second opinion on my own trim many times.

    Here's another kind of boot you could try: http://www.b4boots.com/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing other than the grain is different as far as I know. They've been on the same hay for quite some time and she was moved to the new pasture on September 21, so she's been there for about two months. I suppose it could be related to the summer grass turning to fall grass?

      I've mostly been trimming her on my own, so if the trim is causing her issues, it'll be completely my fault. I hope that's not the case because I'll feel awful, but I suppose it's likely.

      I might need to call another trimmer who can come out to my area more often than my current trimmer if I find out it's the trim. I'll do less trimming on my own and more paying someone else to do it.

      Thanks for the link! I'm heading over to check it out now.

      Delete