Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bye Bye Warm Weather

Uh, t-shirt weather is long gone, and I'm SO sad!! Today was overcast, windy, and COLD... we're talking low 40's. I want the 70's back!! I managed to convince myself to get dressed and head to the barn, but once I got there, I realized I was severely under dressed to be spending any kind of time outside. So I braved the cold long enough to say hello to Lilly, squirt ACV in her hoof hole, pat her on the neck, and give her a cookie. Then I was outta there.

The tack room was fairly warm, though, and since my tack has been severely neglected the past 6 months or so, I figured it was a good time to find my Horseman's One Step show my bridles a little love. They thanked me when I was done and I must say they look much better. I'll have to carve out some time to do my english and western saddles later on.

Speaking of tack, can anyone recommend an online tack place that sells nice mecate reins? I don't want fancy horsehair ones or anything, just a nice set of marine rope style reins, and I'm willing to spend a little cash to get a really nice pair. I've seen some for $20 and I just can't imagine they're what I'm looking for. Or maybe they are and I'm so used to spending thousands that I can't comprehend buying anything that is reasonably priced! I have roper reins on my snaffle bridle at the moment and they just aren't cutting it. I don't ride in the snaffle much these days, but I'd like to have a nice bridle set up for trail rides and fun rides in the arena.

"knottygirlz.com"
In other news, today was day one of the new hoof supplement, BioFlax 20, and Lilly licked her bowl clean! I'm crossing my fingers that it tastes yummy enough that she doesn't mind the fact that it's powder. I think the BO put a little bit of water in with her grain to make everything stick together, so with any luck I won't have an issue with her eating breakfast. Now I just need the supplement to work its magic!

12 comments:

  1. I buy quite a bit of stuff from SStack.com. It seems that what they have is pretty decent and competitively priced. Best of all they stand behind what they sell. If you have any issue, they fix you right up. I have never bought reins from them, but it would be worth looking into.
    I feel your pain with the weather. I am so over winter and it is just getting started here !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about SSTack... I've ordered from them before and they've always been great. Their mecate got good reviews and you can't beat that price. Thanks for reminding me about them!

      Delete
  2. I haven't ordered from these folks, but I've drooled over their site and they appear to be of high quality. I believe Eventer79 (Flying Solo) has one of their bridles or haltermores or something. They also have a monthly giveaway.. but I haven't won...yet.
    The Mecate reins are $22 and up and have lots and lots of options.
    http://sunsethalters.com/mecatereins.php

    I use a pair of 10' trail reins from Chick's. They are basically lead-rope nylon. I like them, except when I tangle the middle of the rein on the horn... I'm not coordinated so I think a mecate set up would get me in a tangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I can have Lilly's name stamped on the popper! How freaking cute is that??!! :)

      I love not having split reins when I'm really working on something, but the roper style reins are too dang short and they're skinny. I want something heavier to hold in my hands. The lead part of the setup is fun to have in case I need to get off and do some schooling.

      They're really quite handy!

      Thanks for the link!

      Delete
    2. Heck, I don't even know what mecate reins are!
      We are thrilled to be back in the 40s after a night at -6.

      Delete
    3. Terry, you should buy yourself a pair! They're the kind of reins you usually see on bosals, but they're popular on snaffle bridles too.

      Delete
  3. I have mecate reins that I bought from Brighton Saddlery. But they came on a complete bridle set which was pretty spendy. I don't know what they would cost separately. I love my mecate's and they are great for trail riding!
    Too bad the weather changed so drastically. I hate that. But does make for good tack cleaning weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Brighton Saddlery but I found their website so I'll be shopping around. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Cleaning tack? You're making the rest of us look bad ;-)

    I've never purchased mecate reins, but have ridden in a friend's that were from Schneiders. Pretty nice quality for every day use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why mecate reins would be so much fun... they're not leather, which = no cleaing! :)

      I might have to buy the pair from Schneiders. They're quite affordable!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness I'm right there with you! This cold weather is dreadful! Good job on cleaning your tack though, mine is in some desperate need as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we have summer back, please?? PLEASE?!

      Delete