Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Easy Lopin'

Sunny and 65 degrees? Why yes, I would like that very much. Thank you, weather gods! Today was gorgeous! The next two days will be in the 60's, and then we're looking at 70's for the following four days. A whole week of gorgeous weather!

Saturday's forecast is sunny and 74, so I think I'll go ahead and take Lilly to the fun show I've been eyeballing. It'll be a great opportunity to get her off the farm and into the show ring where she loves to anticipate. The show series does participate in PAC, but I'm not planning to actually show at all, unless Lilly surprises me with her behavior.

Lilly and I had another great ride today. She was relaxed, happy, and content the entire ride. Our jogging exercises went well, and when it was time to lope, I decided to do some rail work. I've been avoiding the rail work for most of our rides, but every now and then I like to just let her lope. I don't pick at her, I don't ask her to slow down (unless things get crazy), I just let her lope using the whole arena.

The progress I've seen from her since starting this exercise last year has been nothing short of remarkable. Previously, her transitions resembled someone being shot out of a cannon, and she'd quickly gain speed until we were zooming around the arena like lunatics. Today's transitions looked like transitions should... stepping off into the lope (on a loose rein) and maintaining a nice, consistent pace. She's still too fast for western pleasure, but her reins are flopping and I get to just sit there, stay out of her way, and ride. As we lapped the arena over and over again, she she just loped along on a loose rein, I couldn't help but smile. I never thought I'd see the day when Lilly could lope on her own. It's such a wonderful feeling!

After quite a bit of easy loping, we did a few figure eights and she did really well with the lead changes. Because of the weather, she was quite sweaty when we were done, so I hopped off and walked her around the ring to cool off.

Ugly iPhone picture number 1...
And only slightly better iPhone picture number 2...
I just love, love, love my sweet mare and I have a good feeling about this year. :)

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your warm weather!! We are due for a snow storm, you are so lucky!! And I am so glad miss Lily is being a good girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good girl. She is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete