Thursday, January 10, 2013

It's In The Works!

There are a lot of dates to choose from when it comes to Paint shows. There are two Paint clubs in my general area, and a third if I really wanted to get crazy. The Carolina Paint Horse Club, the Palmetto Paint Horse Club, and the Virginia Paint Horse Club all hold shows in locations that are around three - four hours from me. The CPHC occasionally holds shows at the Bob Martin Eastern Agricultural Center in Williamston, NC which is less than two hours away, and I've been trying to make it to one of these shows for quite a few years now. Lilly and I showed there once before, but it wasn't a Paint show. The facility is amazing and we really enjoyed our weekend there.

I don't mind driving three hours to a show if we'll be there for the weekend, but some of the dates don't work out because of my work schedule, and some of them are too early in the year. I want to go to a number of local shows first and get Lilly back in shape before we spend $400 for a Paint show.

After looking through all the dates, it just so happens that CPHC is having a show at the Ag Center in July! It's a joint show with the VPHC and for some reason, it's four days long. They only have the dates posted, and not much actual information, so I'll have to get more details as they're posted. Right now, it's listed as two separate shows, both being two days with four judges. In a perfect world, Lilly and I show both shows. That'll depend on getting time off work, though.

I have two friends I show with who also ride Paints. M, who has been mentioned here before, and my other friend, L, who I met last year. M owns a mare named Baby, who is Lilly's true love. Just thinking of their time together makes me twitch a little bit... Anyway, I've spoken to both M and L and they're totally interested in going to the show in Williamston as well. So it's looking like a girl's weekend with our girls! (We all have mares!)

I know it's only January and July is quite a few months away, but I figure if I start making plans now and keep it in the forefront, it'll be more likely to come to fruition. I'm really excited!

Showing at a Paint show also means I need a new saddle. I can't show up for western pleasure in my $200 fixer-upper, so I'm in the market for something new. I dread the idea of shopping because I know how picky Lilly is, and there aren't a lot of western shops around where we can go to go try saddles.

I'm thinking perhaps I should stick with Dakota brand saddles since that's what my current saddle is, and I'll have a better idea as to how they're going to fit. I don't want anything super expensive or fancy, just a nice, lightweight, comfortable saddle with a little bit of silver. Something like this:

Dakota 600L
I'm not thrilled with the leather flap in front of the stirrups, but otherwise it's pretty much what I have pictured in my head. Luckily I have some time to think and shop around.

Keep your fingers crossed!

15 comments:

  1. I hope everything works out for you, it sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My saddle has that weird flappy thing, too. I guess it's so the fenders don't get stuck on the cinch tie? Doesn't Dakota do custom? You could probably have them leave that piece out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking too... it's just weird that some of their saddles have it and some of them don't. I think Dakota does do custom. I know they'll adjust your stirrup lengths and everything, so maybe they would take thing off for me. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm probably very biased, but I'm so excited to read about your APHA show! Have a wonderful time and take 10,000 photos :-)

    Saddle shopping is way fun—keep us posted on your perusal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, biased? No way! :) I'm super excited about it too!

      Delete
  4. I know nada about Western saddles, but I'm wondering if there's a big supplier that will mail trial saddles like Dover does English saddles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... good idea, Terry! I know some places will let you return something if you don't like it, but of course it has to be in the original condition. That won't work very well for me. I'll have to look around and see what I can find!

      Delete
  5. Im excited for you doing Paint shows too. I really want to but my area only holds one a year and its really expensive for where we are at right now.

    I dunno but that particular saddle doesnt scream "breed show" to me, not to be rude or anything but it just doesnt have that appeal... but if Dakota is a good brand for you, stick with that...do they have other "show" styles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's definitely not a breed show saddle, but I'm not looking for something that fancy. I mostly show local shows, with a Paint show thrown in here and there, so I'm shopping more with that in mind. Compared to the one I ride in now, though, this one looks like a million bucks!

      Delete
  6. How exciting! I hope it all works out for you and Lilly.
    I like that saddle, not too flashy like some of the western show saddles. And even in a breed show, it would be fine. They aren't gonna penalize you for not having a fancy enough saddle. As long as it fits and it is clean, that is all that matters! Now if you were to show at Paint Worlds you might want a flashier saddle, but even then they won't penalize you not having all that silver. Coming from someone that has been around the Arabian show world, even though it is a different breed, going to Scottsdale, all the regionals and Nationals, the saddle won't make a difference. Well unless it is a really worn, dirty old thing! lol!
    Good luck and can't wait to hear all about your shows this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang you, blogger! My below comment was meant for you, Paint Girl! :)

      Delete
  7. The super fancy ones weigh like 45 pounds too! I just don't want anything that fancy... I do need something new, though. The saddle I have now is funcitonal, but I wouldn't want to show up at a breed show with it, unless I was just schooling. It's a great saddle, but it definitely isn't fit for the breed show ring.

    Thank you! I'm really excited!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Circle Y show saddle that I actually use for everything. It's very comfy and fits my paint quite nicely. He is built similar to you horse, low wide withers, well balanced, and stocky. Sometimes you can find a nice used one fairly cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting!! Good luck finding a saddle.

    ReplyDelete