Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mecates Are Here!

Today's weather forecast: cold, damp, windy, foggy, with a hint of rain. Summer, where are you??

Does the sun even still exist?
My mecate (muh-caw-tee - you're welcome) reins arrived late last week, but I haven't had time to do much with them other than admire how very mecate-y they are. Today I decided to create my beautiful snaffle bridle, so I pulled out my phone, brought up my email with instructions on how to tie everything and proceeded to put it all together. When I was done, I put the bridle on Lilly and went to lead her out to the arena for pictures and discovered...


I had put the lead rope part on the wrong side of the bridle. *EXPLETIVES!!!* By this time, I was too cold and too wet to care, so I'll have to fix that later. Until then, try to pretend that I did it correctly and that Lilly is actually wearing a western saddle. She was just too warm under her blanket for me to take it off... what kind of monster would do such a thing??


Aren't they pretty? Lilly said she feels like a real cow pony now.

9 comments:

  1. And she looks like a real cow pony too... A nice happy, toasty warm cow pony!
    I have a pair of mecate reins. The only thing I do not like about them is the little tail that seems to want to hit Trax in the face when we are moving at any speed faster than a walk. He doesn't seem too bothered by it, but it bothers me.
    I have a question for you that is totally unrelated.
    I would like to know what exactly Lilly's hoof issues were that urged you to get the Renegade boots, and what exactly do they do for her.
    I am asking because of my mare which obviously has some sort of issue going on in her front feet. We have not isolated the problem yet (next Wed we do more xrays) but we suspect she has some thin soles and chronic bruising, or possibly a bit of laminitis. I am just trying to do my research for better options than "well she can still be a brood mare"
    If you prefer you can just email me, or I will check back to see what your answer is. ms.cmdurham@gmail.com
    Also let me say I appreciate any information you have time to share with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope these reins don't smack Lilly in the face... she would tolerate such a thing! LOL

      I sent you an email about the boots. :)

      Delete
  2. Mecate reins are SUCH a god send when training a completely green trail horse alone. LOVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely great for training! I'm not sure how I made it this long without them. :)

      Delete
  3. Lily's face is so expressive! She's like "just take the !@#$ picture already".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Can't you see it's raining out here, woman!" LOL

      Delete
  4. Love them! It's such a great look with a snaffle bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks beautiful - a true western cowpony, but in that last photo Lily looks like she thinks she's a cowpony-ahem-princess.

    ReplyDelete