Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Show Clinic and Saddle News

I've been doing a lot of research on saddle trees now that I'm searching for a new show saddle. The saddle I have now is a Dakota cutting saddle, model 100, with a 16" seat. I don't know much more about it than that because Dakota doesn't use serial numbers like Circle Y. I figured I should stick with Dakota because I'm more likely to get a saddle with a similar tree if the saddle is at least the same brand. It's possible, of course, that Dakota is using a different tree now than when my saddle was made, but with any luck, they aren't.

During a recent web search, I came across a Dakota model 100 cutting saddle. I was quite surprised to find one, and was even more surprised to see that it is the exact same saddle I have.

Fancy, new saddle...
My saddle...
Everything about it is the same... from the tooling right down to the stirrups (that I couldn't wait to get rid of). It's brand new, though, and mine is B.E.A.T. Because of my saddle's condition, I thought it was really, really old, but now I'm starting to think it was just used and abused.

The website says the saddle has a fiberglass covered tree with Quarter Horse bars. There's no tree brand mentioned, but I'm fairly certain they're Steele trees. I plan on calling the nice folks over at Cultured Cowboy to see what I can find out about my current saddle. If my saddle's tree is in all of the Dakota saddles, chances are I could choose any saddle I like (with QH bars), and it would fit Lilly. My life would be super fantastic and awesome if that was the case. Dakota makes a really nice, high quality saddle for much less than someone like Circle Y. They custom make each saddle so they don't have the overhead, and I think I could get the perfect show saddle, with headstall and reins, for less than $1500.

In other news, I decided to go with the show clinic instead of the western dressage clinic. As much as I wanted to watch some western dressage, I thought the show clinic would be more beneficial to us and our quest to meet the goals I set for this year. I signed us up for showmanship and western horsemanship and I'm really looking forward to working with the judge and getting some good pointers. The clinic is on the 26th and I'm hoping the weather will be nice!

1 comment:

  1. The saddle sounds like a good deal to me!
    Have fun at the clinic.

    ReplyDelete