Monday, January 7, 2013

Which Clinic Is Best??

Oh the agony!! I'm torn... SO TORN!!

Why do such wonderful horsey things always have to fall on the same day? WHY?!

I mentioned at some point last year that I wanted to dabble in western dressage a little bit. I didn't have much opportunity last year, so I've been keeping my eyes open for western dressage related shows and clinics this year. Well, it just so happens there's one this month, and it's just the kind of event I've been looking for. It's about a 3 hour drive and starts at 8am (hello early morning), but I think it would be a lot of fun.

I hopped over to my calendar to save the day and BAM! There it is... the conflict! I already have a show clinic scheduled for that same Saturday. JCHSS is having a judge come out to coach and judge showmanship, english equitation, western horsemanship, and trail. I was going to sign up for showmanship and horsemanship to get some pointers as we kick off the show season. There's also going to be a swap and shop going on at the same time (shopping... woohoo!).

I would take Lilly to the JCHSS show clinic, but I wouldn't take her to the dressage clinic. They're allowing 12 horses, but I don't think we're quite ready to participate in the clinic. I think the JCHSS clinic would be a bit more beneficial for us, but I really, REALLY want to go to that dressage clinic.

I'll probably end up taking her to the show clinic... both are first come, first served so I need to decide and send in my paperwork. I wish they weren't happening the same weekend. So bummed.

Lilly's sniffer is working hard trying to find cookies!

14 comments:

  1. There must be some universe rule about multiple horse things on the same day because it always happens to me too. Love that you're thinking of getting into western dressage, it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing about it, but I've never seen it in person. I would just love to watch a western horse do dressage!

      Delete
  2. Too bad they're on the same day, but it's nice to have choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish there was another clinic planned for later in the year. If this is the only one, I don't want to miss it!

      Delete
  3. Don't you hate it when that happens?! I might choose the western dressage, simply because they sound harder to come by! (And cheaper if you don't have to haul!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely harder to come by... I'm hoping even if I can't make it to this one, they'll have another one later in the year. If all else fails, they sometimes have western classes at the dressage shows and I'd love to watch a couple of those.

      Delete
  4. Bummer. I hate to say, but I'd probably pick the Western Dressage. Just because it would be something new. Besides you and Lilly are already pretty darned kick-ass at showmanship. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I was thinking that too, but it also never hurts to get an opinion from a judge. I've shown under her before but don't remember how we did in showmanship... I wish I did!

      Delete
  5. That's a tough one. Sadly, the tack swap would probably be the deciding factor for me. Digging through other peoples tack can be too much fun to pass up. Add a clinic and it sounds like a perfect day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the market for some stuff, so the shopping does give some extra credit towards the show clinic. It's also closer and I won't have to get up at 4am either. :)

      Delete
  6. That sucks that they are on the same day. I guess it just depends which one you and Lily enjoy the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Considering all the show-related goals you posted, I'd say the JCHSS clinic would be most in-line with your plans for this year. I'm not nearly as intrigued with Western Dressage as many people seem to be, so that also makes me lean in the direction of the show clinic.

    I believe participating in a clinic with your horse will be more worth your time/money than one where you are just an observer. I'm sure you can find resources through the web or your interlibrary loan program that would get you some of what you'd learn by watching the clinic.

    IMHO. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I want to go to the dressage clinic more, but I think the show clinic will be the most beneficial for me and Lilly. Like you said, something we both get to do together will help us more than just having me spectate.

      I went ahead and sent in my paperwork for the show clinic. I hope the weather is nice!

      Delete