Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Call To The Vet for AJ - Update

**********
Update! (2-24-13)
AJ is back to his happy (grumpy) self this morning. He was only allowed to eat half of his normal feeding, but he gobbled it up and couldn't wait to chase Justus away from his food. Lots of manure piles came overnight and all is well. Thank you so much for your kind words yesterday!!
**********

AJ is feeling a bit under the weather today. I received a call from my dad early this morning letting me know that AJ wasn't interested in breakfast. When AJ doesn't want breakfast, it's time to panic... well, maybe not panic, but it's definitely a cause for concern. He didn't even mind it when my dad's horse Justus stole some morsels out of his feed pan. No grumpy old man face with flattened ears is definitely not a good sign. He had a temperature of 102, which isn't necessarily high, but isn't necessarily normal either. My dad had seen him pee, but no AJ poop could be found, and he was acting very mopey.

My handsome boy.
My dad wanted to know if I wanted the vet called, which I did. He'll be 27 this year and I'd rather be safe (and poor) than sorry. He wasn't looking at his tummy or rolling on the ground, but he was just standing out in the corral looking pitiful. AJ's vet was dealing with a few emergency calls but said she would be free later if needed, and suggested giving AJ a little Banamine in the meantime. She said if he wasn't feeling better after the Banamine to give her a call because she'd want to see him.

The Banamine seemed to help because as the day wore on, he snacked on some hay and ate a few cookies. He was also drinking some water but still hadn't pooped, so my dad called the vet back to set up a time for her to come out. Shortly before she arrived, AJ finally pooped, and seemed to be a much happier boy.

The vet palpated him to check for an impaction but said everything looked normal. She checked his teeth in case an infected tooth might have been the reason for the slight fever but said everything looked good. His manure was much more solid than normal, so it sounds like perhaps he had a mild case of colic that the Banamine helped with. She said the Banamine will start wearing off around 6pm tonight, so my dad will keep an eye on him until bedtime, but hopefully he's over the hump and all is well.

9 comments:

  1. Glad your dad pays such close attention - colic is nothing to fool around with, especially in a senior horse. Glad he seems to be feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending hugs and good thoughts to you and AJ. Hopefully all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been scary. I'm glad AJ is feeling better, and I hope he's 100% by morning. Keep us posted - we'll worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to second what Kate said, it is great that your dad pays such close attention. Many people wouldn't until it was too late.
    Glad he is better, hope he stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, poor AJ. I hope he feels better soon. I know how it is with these older ones... anything that's amiss is cause for concern. And your Dad gets extra points for paying such close attention to him and catching the signs early!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad he turned out ok in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! So glad he's feeling fine. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete