Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Some Great Rides

Lilly and I have been having some really great rides. Because of the rain and soggy arena they haven't been very consistent, but when we're able to get in there and work, she's been amazing. I was just telling a fellow boarder who was commenting on what a lovely horse I had, that what she was seeing had been a long time coming. It took a lot of work, with a lot of ups and downs, (throw in a few brick walls for good measure) but we were finally making some great progress. It is pure joy for me at the barn these days.

Don't get me wrong, Lilly has always been a pleasure to work with, but riding her hasn't always been fun. We've had a few rough days at some of the shows (which mostly stems from times when she's feeling insecure and herd bound), but when we're working at home, she's a gem. I haven't always had the skills to communicate with her in a way she understands, though, and it was extremely frustrating for me. When I got frustrated, Lilly got frustrated, and we just bumped heads. It wasn't an issue with her, it was an issue with us, and mostly an issue with me. It was even more frustrating because of the kind of relationship we have, and I knew the potential was there for us to be a great team.

We still have many, many things to work on and improve upon, but I'm no longer frustrated with my lack of communication skills, and neither is Lilly. We work together as a team and our relationship has done nothing but grow stronger. And that's something I never thought could happen.

Love her SO much!
Just this morning when I visited Lilly briefly at the barn, I walked out to the gate and saw her grazing in the back corner of her pasture. She looked up at me, but just stared in my direction. I hollered to her, "Hi, Sweet Pea!" She came running from the corner of the pasture to greet me, nickering. One of the other boarders was watching, saying "Awwww! She's so sweet!"

I brought her in, groomed her (she's the only one not shedding yet!), and turned her back out with a handful of hay. She got her usual belly scratch before eating the hay, and I gave her a giant smooch for being such a wonderful part of my life. She absolutely means the world to me.

5 comments:

  1. This is just such a nice post :)

    Where you were with Lily is where i am with Jingle right now... perhaps one day i'll be writing a post like this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet!! I love it when they come running! Chance is the only one of mine that will do that and it's such an amazing feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 Lilly! So happy you guys are such an amazing team. Makes all the time and hard work worthwhile, doesn't it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are having some great rides!! Sounds like all your hard work is paying off.

    ReplyDelete