Friday, February 22, 2013

Winter Sucks

This weather really sucks!! For those of you buried under 3 feet of snow, I feel for you, but I'm still going to whine anyway because the weather we've been having here isn't normal! Wet, wet, wet!! Cold, cold, cold!! Here was my house last Saturday:

This should not happen in NC!!
If it isn't snowing, it's raining, and on the few days when I could potentially get out and ride, the arena is far too wet. I decided to snap a picture of it today while I was out visiting the sweetest pony in the world.

Arena = Swamp
I am so over this cold, wintry weather. BE GONE!! It's almost March for crying out loud. Shows start on the 16th and I can't even ride my pony more than once a week. Alex was planning to come on Sunday and play with me and Lilly, but it's raining today and will also be raining tomorrow, so I think the odds of us being able to get in the arena are slim. BOO!!

See, sunny and 65 on Sunday, but surrounded by nothing but rain!!

At least the temperatures are looking a bit better...
Lilly is bored, too. There isn't much to do with her other than groom her, feed her cookies, and give her millions of kisses. If I just go out quickly to check on her, she will walk over to the gate as if she's expecting me to take her out of the pasture. She'll go back and forth to the gate several times before finally giving up.

"Are you here to play with me?"
In other news, she's finally shedding a bit, though, so maybe that's a good sign. I also had the vet out to do Lilly's Coggins and check her teeth. Teeth will need to be done this spring, as expected, but they're not too bad. I was really hoping they wouldn't need to be done because I have become terrified at the thought of sedating her. It just seems like a needless risk, so I might see if I can find someone who will do it a bit more naturally. That way we won't have to use a sedative. The vet also said she was very happy with Lilly's weight and was proud of me for getting her back to a healthy weight so quickly. Enrich 32 + exercise = slimmer pony!

For now, I leave you with "cookie face", just because she's so darn cute, and this face could brighten up the gloomiest day!

COOKIES!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh honey, you have no idea what a nasty b*tch winter can really be! Try days on end below freezing or even below 0! I would kill for a 60 degree day. But it's all relative - I feel your pain.
    Proud of you for controlling Lilly's weight - it isn't easy over winter when they get less exercise and just want to hang around and eat.
    I'm sure you can find a vet to do her teeth without sedation. Ours does all the horses straight up, no drugs, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me feels silly for complaining about 37 degree weather and lots of rain, with an occasional snow storm, but this IS North Carolina! I want mild winters where I can ride almost every day!

      Speaking of NC, we have a silly law here that states only a licensed veterinarian can float teeth. I haven't found a vet that will float without sedation and power tools, but I'm going to do some research and see what I can find. Maybe I'll have to go deep down into the black market of equine dentistry!

      Delete
    2. I can pass along a natural balance dentist who works without sedation whenever possible. She is wonderful and comes through eastern NC every spring. Let me know in the comments if you are interested. ;D

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I have an email in to a friend who "knows a guy", but if that doesn't pan out, I will definitely be contacting you! I figure I should at least give Lilly the opportunity to have it done without sedation... maybe she'll be a loon and we'll have to do it, but I'm hoping otherwise.

      Actually, if you don't mind, send me her information. You can email it to rlilbitofcash[at]gmail.com.

      Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Oh I know exactly how you feel!! I really hate winter, just when you think it is over it comes back with an army...

    P.S. I think your facility is probably one of the prettiest I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few weeks ago, someone at my barn happily proclaimed that winter was over... boy was she wrong! LOL

      And thank you! I wish it was mine, but I really enjoy the facility!

      Delete
  3. :) I feel the same way. The northerners will hate us (and I am one) but here in NC... it isn't supposed to be snowy and wet and cold for this long... I do have an indoor, but really. I want to ride the trails and have only squeezed in one ride in the past month due to it being too wet!

    (that rant felt good :)

    And your house is very charming.

    ReplyDelete