Monday, March 11, 2013

Feelin' Like A Real Cowgirl!

The spurs I ordered for Lilly finally came over the weekend. They're a pair of FES spurs, in the Santa Fe style, and I ordered some basket weave straps to go with them. The spur size is "ladies", but I don't know any women with boots huge enough to fit these things without some major modifications done to the width. Luckily, hubby used his super human strength and squeezed them together enough to make them fit my boots.

The straps are also quite big... even on the last hole, they're way too loose, so I'll have to punch a hole in the strap as far up as I can and call it good. I don't know why they're so long. If your boots were big enough to need the straps let all the way out, your boot would never fit in the stirrup and you wouldn't need to worry about spurs!

Fancy!
I normally wear spurs above the heel of my boot, but the straps are way too big for that. They're almost pointless as it is with the spur on the heel of my boot. They look nice, though!

Lilly hasn't really ever been ridden in spurs. I think I wore an english pair with her once, many years ago, but she's definitely not used to them. That also means it's been a long time since I've ridden in a pair of spurs as well, so I knew I had to be super careful not to bump her with them.

Take those spurs off right now.
Long story short, I wasn't doing a very good job. A couple times while we were loping, she cow kicked. Since she has only done that once or twice in her entire life, I assume it was her way of telling me to STOP BUMPING HER WITH MY SPUR. Roger that, Lilly! So I took them off and rode without them for the rest of our ride. I think they made their point, though, because she was very responsive to my leg and gave me some really nice spins.

I haven't given up on them yet, but I think I need to do some more homework before I can just wear them during our rides.

I worked on Lilly hooves a bit today and noticed a lot of licking and chewing on her part. I think she's really happy with her hooves and how they feel, and she seems to enjoy the process a lot more than she used to. There wasn't much there to trim, so as usual I just shaped them up a bit. I've been battling a small crack in her right front, so I'm trying to keep them as balanced as possible.

Tomorrow the rain is back, and if you could see my face, you'd know I'm not happy about that at all!

14 comments:

  1. Can you walk in those things, lol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh! Barely! Back in the day, when I had my only other pair of western spurs, I would trip a lot. If you're not paying attention, you could end up in the dirt. :)

      Delete
  2. Spurs scare me. I bought a tiny little nub pair this winter on the off chance that one day my lower leg will be still enough to use them...

    Super bummed about the rain - and apparently another winter storm in the works?! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do quite well with them, but I'm definitely out of practice. I've never had a horse quite as sensitive as Lilly either, so that doesn't help matters.

      Another winter storm?? I can't take anymore winter weather!

      Delete
  3. I've taken a holiday from my spurs but I miss them...mostly because they keep my jeans from dragging in the dirt!

    We're supposed to have a nasty weather day tomorrow, too, but after that they're calling for temperatures in the 60s! Wee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about them keeping my jeans out of the dirt! That's definitely a plus!! :)

      Delete
  4. I feel you on the non "ladies" sizing. Seems like no matter what the description is, both spurs and straps come in a giant size. I've even bought kids' straps once in frustration—they fit!—and trust me, my feet are nowhere near child sized :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might need to resort to doing just that... I don't know how I'll get these straps off the spurs, but I'll darn sure try!

      Delete
  5. I just recently picked up a pair as well, and like you am having to learn to be extra careful with my legs. Trax's signal is a very solid tail swish. I bought mine at the tack store though so I could try them on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have any western stores around me... lots of english stores everywhere. The spurs fit okay now, but I'm still dealing with those darn straps.

      Delete
  6. I go on and off with spurs. Yours look great on your boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like them too, but I think my boots could probably use a little oil...

      Delete
  7. Love the spurs! I have the same problem with "ladies" spurs. It's like they make them for only ladies that have mammoth feet! I have spurs and use them on Brandy every now and then. I am going to start using them on Chance this year, she's a tad on the lazy side and could use some assistance in the get up and go department! I can't use spurs on Fritzy at all. She will shut down completely. My trainer found that out the hard way. We think someone may have used spurs a little too harsh on her before I bought her. But she is super responsive to leg so I don't need them on her.
    And I trip on my spurs all the time! I can't believe I haven't fallen on my butt yet! I have to be so aware of where my feet are when I take a step back or to the side. It's embarrasing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I'll be able to use them on Lilly, but she might decide she's not working in them either. Maybe it'll just take a few rides in them once in a while to keep her responsive to my leg. She was getting a little heavy, but since riding her that one time, she moves right out!

      I'm glad I'm not the only one! I thought perhaps I shouldn't admit it on the internet for the whole world to read, but I might as well laugh at myself! :)

      Delete