Thursday, March 14, 2013

Her Mane Is Almost Finished

One word for today... WINDY! It was sunny, and it looked like it should be really nice outside, but once I actually ventured out, brrrr! I wanted to get Lilly's mane finished so I bundled up and headed out to the barn. By the time I was done chopping, I had white hair ALL over me, and it was so dry and static-y that no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the hair off my vest. I brushed it off and I swear it flew right back! I eventually gave up, so now it's all over the inside of my truck. Plus, Lilly has super thick hair shafts, so I had little pieces of hair stuck into my skin like splinters, and all over the sleeves of my sweater. I was poked over and over and over again the entire ride home. Wonder how many times I'll have to wash my sweatshirt to get those out?

I still have some work left to do because it's way too thick, but it's dirty and super dry. I need to give it a good wash and use my thinning shears some more to get rid of more hair. I banded down the parts that wanted to stick up into a mohawk, so it isn't pretty, but it'll look nice once it's banded and that's all that matters.

Rockin' it!
After I was done with her mane, I decided to take her out for a quick bareback ride. The other boarder was like, "you're going to ride bareback in this wind?" Heck yeah! This is Lilly we're talking about. It didn't go as well as I hoped, though... the mecates were really getting in the way and apparently aren't great for bareback riding. I didn't want to tie the lead rope to my body (because that sounds like a REALLY bad idea) and just looping it through my belt loops didn't work either. It was okay during the jog, but when we loped, it kept falling out. The reins are too thick to hold the lead and the reins at the same time, so I eventually gave up trying to lope and just jogged instead. I'm sure I did just enough to have SUPER sore thighs tomorrow. :)

In other news, when I stopped at my local feed store to pick up more Enrich 32, the owner wanted to show me a couple new products Purina has out. One of them really caught my attention because I thought it was a great idea. Purina Hydration Hay!

My free sample!
It's just a giant cube of pressed grass and alfalfa hay that you put in a bucket with water... like an oversized hay cube. Once it's all absorbed, the idea is that your horse will gobble it up and be super hydrated because they just "ate" gallons of water. Each package comes with 12 blocks and runs around $25. It isn't something you'd want to feed all the time, but I'm thinking I might buy some to take with me to shows. It's really portable and Lilly is sometimes a booger about drinking away from home. I don't think she'd object to eating the wet hay, although she'd probably make a mess and I'd have to clean her up afterwards.

Has anyone tried them, or heard anything about them? Good or bad?

9 comments:

  1. I'm doing manes this week too.

    I was just looking at the hydration hay last week. The idea of it making them drink is good, and as you said, it would be useful at shows. However, at that price point, you may as well just buy hay cubes and soak them. 12 cubes of hay for $25 is not a lot. When I soak alfalfa cubes, it's about two little scoops to a bucket. I can buy a bag of cubes/pellets for about $15. There are about 25 scoops per bag.

    No personal experience with the hydration hay, though. Would love to hear from people who've used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not as cost effective as regular alfalfa cubes, but the hydration hay seems a bit more convenient to me for some reason. I guess because it stores better and I can just throw a block in the bucket before I go to the show?

      I've been told that it soaks up more water than the alfalfa cubes and breaks up faster because it's not quite as packed. It's also 'fluffier' than the alfalfa cubes... I think there's a $10 off coupon (or rebate maybe) so I'll probably buy one of the 12 packs and see how I like it, assuming Lilly eats the sample block I got at the feed store.

      I shall report back!

      Delete
  2. I've been reading about that hydration hay, and it sounds like a good idea. As you know, I worry about Paj a lot in the winter. He tends to drink less on those blizzard days when he's locked in. In addition to extra salt on those days, I soak his hay for about half an hour, pour off the water, put it in a pan, and let him go at it. I think it's helped get a bit more water into him. I would give the hydration hay a try if it came in timothy. Of course the Prince can only have timothy - allergies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised they don't have different varieties of hay. One with timothy, one with a mix... maybe it's in the works and Prince Paj will be able to partake as well.

      Delete
  3. The answer is two. You'll need to wash that sweatshirt at least twice to remove all the horse hair. You could say I've been there, laundered that ;-)

    Miss Lily's hairdo looks smashing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it's only two! I was afraid I might be randomly stabbed for many months to come.

      And thanks! I do love a short mane, even if it sticks straight up half the time. :)

      Delete
  4. RE washing your sweatshirt - first, toss in the dryer on air dry to suck out all the hair. Then wash as normal.

    Whatever you do, don't wash it with any other clothes, or you'll just propagate all those itchy hairs. Ask me how I know.

    And I'm sure her mane will look good... eventually? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought about putting it in the dryer first... I was thinking about taking a lint roller to it, but I like your idea better!

      Delete
    2. jenj !!! I love this advice. My daughter wore a part woolish/woven sweater to the barn and washed it. Wore it to school and took it off and guess what!! ? She had hair on the inside she hadn't noticed and it was all over her clothes. Ha. I guess she took her horse to school that day!

      Delete