Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Show Season Already?

Our first real show of the season is on Saturday. Let's just say that I am nowhere near ready for a show. I still haven't hemmed my showmanship pants, my tack is dirty, and my pony looks like a dirt monster. I think she actually grows more hair in the spring, so the dust and dirt just embeds into her skin. Her mane looks awful because it's still too thick, her ears and legs aren't clipped, and I haven't ridden her with the shank bit using one hand in months. I think we've practiced showmanship about three times since our last show. I'm also planning to show in two english classes on Saturday and I honestly don't remember the last time I rode Lilly in her english saddle. I'm afraid to even take the cover off the darn thing...

Show season is something I look forward to all winter long, and then when it finally gets here, I'm terribly unprepared for its arrival.

I blame the weather for keeping me from riding as much as I would have liked to these past couple months, but I don't need a sunny day to clip or clean tack so I don't really have an excuse for those items. Same with my showmanship pants... I just need to get out the sewing machine and do it. I've been feeling a bit gloomy lately, though, so it's hard to find the get-up-and-go I need to get all this stuff done. Perhaps it's a case of the cabin fever blues. Whatever it is, I hope I snap out of it soon.

Dirty, dirty girl.
I did go ride today, and I decided to ride with the shank bit and practice with one hand. I don't plan on doing many lope classes on Saturday so I mostly practiced at the jog. Lilly was pretty good and I'm hoping she gives me a nice jog on Saturday. I had to get after her a few times for being lazy and trying to ignore my leg, but eventually she decided to play the game my way.

Part of me wants to skip the show on Saturday, but I know that's just the cabin fever demon talking. So I'm going to buckle down and get everything ready so we're presentable on Saturday. There will be no bath (thanks weather!) so she'll have to look how she's going to look... slightly brown and smelling of muck. I'll band her mane and clip her up as best I can, and we'll call it good.

Maybe this show will be just what I need.

7 comments:

  1. I feel your pain....these darn paints and all their white...argh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's ready! Best of luck - looking forward to hearing all about the first show of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya! Dirty ponies are no fun. But that is exciting that you have a show this weekend! I am sure it will go good. I have only a month to get Chance ready for a trail challenge and I have only been able to lunge her one time, after her 6 months off. I sure hope the weather starts to cooperate so I can get few arena rides and trail rides on her! Time goes by way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dirty stinkin' ponies are the worst! But we love them at the same time :) You guys will do awesome at the show, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun!! Cant wait to see pics and hear the report! Supposed to rain all weekend here, booo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, I am shocked at your notion of what is "dirty." I am totally going to send you Cash and a tub of mud someday...

    I hope the show goes fabulously well, even if you aren't 100% prepared for it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete