Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Now We're Cooking With Gas!

Errr... soaking with oxine*. Yesterday was the first time I soaked Lilly with oxine. All our previous soaks had been with apple cider vinegar while I waited for the oxine to arrive, but it finally came. I also purchased some regular vinegar because in order to "activate" it, it has to be mixed with an acid.

The essentials...
Oxine, vinegar, measuring cup, a 20 oz bottle for mixing, and carrots. You know, the essentials! Supposedly the oxine and vinegar, when mixed, will turn a yellow-ish color. My mixture never really turned colors, so who knows if I did it right. I followed the instructions: 1/8 cup of oxine, 1/8 cup of vinegar, and after it turns yellow, fill bottle the rest of the way up with water. After waiting around a while for it to turn yellow, I just added the water and got to work.

Getting the hang of this soaking thing.
I soaked both hooves for 15 minutes, so hopefully it does the trick. My trimmer suggested I soak her 3-4 times per week, so I'll probably soak her again on Thursday. We need to get our butts back out to the arena, pronto!!


*Disclaimer: Oxine AH is labeled for use to sanitize and disinfect animal confinement facilities, to disinfect water storage systems, and to help remove odors and tastes from municipal well waters. Soaking hooves with oxine is considered off-label use, so be sure to consult someone with brains before using oxine on your own horse's hooves.

8 comments:

  1. I hope it does the trick, and soon.

    I think we should add a soaking boot to our stash. Looks like it's a lot better than knocking the pan over every 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, the soaker boots are definitely worth it! They're only about $35 and they make things SO much easier, especially if you're in a situation like me where you're soaking A LOT. I can shove her hoof in the boot and do all kinds of stuff without having to babysit her.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully that works! I use White Lightning, I don't know if that's something similar, or if oxine is just a cheaper option because WL is spendy! (It produces chlorine dioxide when mixed with vinegar) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are correct! I purchased a gallon of oxine AH for about $25 plus shipping, so it's definitely less expensive, but not as readily available as the White Lightning seems to be. I had no idea White Lightning was the same thing!

      Delete
  3. Lilly's face in the soaking photo shows her overwhelming joy at the process, huh? ;-)

    Hope this gets you both in the arena soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very enthusiastic about the whole process! :)

      Delete
  4. I've done White Lightning soaks and similarly didn't see anything obvious when I added the vinegar so I hope for both our sakes that's normal lol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm not the only one! I didn't figure I could mess up such an easy recipe, but I was wondering why it didn't turn yellow. Maybe it's a super pale shade of yellow!

      Delete