Saturday, April 27, 2013

Oxine!

Lilly's oxine came today, but the FedEx guy brought it after I had already left for the barn. So tomorrow I'll soak her in activated oxine and hope for the best. I have to hope for the best because here's our weather forecast for the next 10 days:

Oh boy!
I think she's going to be spending an awful lot of time in her stall if the forecast doesn't change at all between now and then. I'm hoping it will!

I've been soaking her hooves in apple cider vinegar (ACV) every other day, and spraying them with a spray bottle of ACV on the days I don't soak. I use my handy little horseshoe nail to scrape out any gunk I find up in there and have been doing a little bit of trimming every day too. Today I did a pretty hefty trim on each hoof to just get it over with and trim off as much toe as I dared.

Standing a little wonky... they almost look like hind hooves!
You can see the little bit of seedy toe on her right front hoof I've been fighting. It's not nearly as deep as her left hoof, so I'm hoping it won't break open (or I won't have to carve it out), assuming I caught it in time and the oxine does the trick. Other than the giant crater in her toe, I think her hooves look pretty good.

I took off her fly sheet because I knew the rain was coming, so now I have plenty of time to figure out how I'm going to patch the hole.

5 comments:

  1. Eee, good luck treating her with all that rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was gonna say the weather report looks great, I saw all the temps in the 70's and was thinking "Great! You get to ride a lot!", then I went back and noticed it wasn't sunny and 70's, it was 70's and rain. :(
    Hopefully it won't be too bad and you can get her treated!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I've been on a bit of a blogger break (make that too busy wallowing in self-pity to blog), so I didn't know about Lilly's hoof trouble, or the potential bad barn news. Ugh, I am so sorry. I hope our girl heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely trim job! Could you send the rain this way, please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so far behind! Sorry to hear about the nasty hoof. Hope your new stuff is nipping it in the bud!
    And changing barns again?! UGH! You have the worst luck! I can't believe you haven't been through them all yet. My area has like a very small handful of boarding places, lol.

    Here's hoping you find a great one!

    ReplyDelete