Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Seedy Toe Update

I visited my sweet pony today and she was very happy to see me. She actually jogged very quickly up to the gate when I called her name. It warms my heart when she does that. :)

I wasn't sure what to expect as far as her hoof was concerned, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. While I did have to cut off the floppy part at the very tip of her toe (would that be sole or laminae?), I thought everything else looked pretty good.

Here's a picture I took after I cleaned it all up:

Ta-da!
She was so good about helping me take pictures. I placed her hoof up on the jack and she just left it there while I tried to get a photo that didn't look blurry. Sometimes I wonder what she's thinking while I'm doing all this crazy stuff to her.

I worked on the little pocket that I saw in yesterday's picture a bit more today, and while it's still there, it isn't hiding behind the hoof wall anymore. So I think I'm done digging around. Also, when I used my horseshoe nail to root around in there, no more gross blue cheese-y looking stuff came out.

I also checked her other hoof and the areas I was concerned about there look a bit better too. There's a tiny hole in the toe area of that hoof as well, but it was fairly clean inside, so I'm hoping I caught it in time and if I keep her treated, it'll just grow out. The other area I was concerned about is the lateral side of her hoof, actually in the white line. There's some separation there and I dug out some black stuff yesterday. Today it was clean, except for some dirt. So hopefully the soak helped that as well.

I didn't soak her hooves today because I feel like the moisture is part of the problem. So I'm torn between soaking to kill the bacteria and letting her hooves dry out a bit. So I think every other day would be a good plan. Technically they got wet anyway because I scrubbed them with dish soap and sprayed them down with ACV, but I didn't actually soak them. Since it rained a bit last night (AGAIN!) I put her in the stall so she could stand on dry land for the day. Hopefully that'll help. I might have to lock her up more often if we keep getting all this rain.

Also, thank you all so much for your comments yesterday. I was feeling pretty crappy about the whole situation, but I'm feeling better now. I just want my girl happy and healthy!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better! Her hoof will grow back good as new :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully it won't take too long to grow out. Grow, grow, grow!

      Delete
  2. I have to tell you a funny story...

    I bought a nice palomino/paint gelding out of a kill pen one time...who was dead lame. Everybody thought I was crazy. He had a pretty significant chunk out of one side of his hoofwall, where a flare had broke off and exposed the lamina. I figured that is why he was lame...and since my brother was a farrier...I wasn't worried about it.

    When I got my brother to start working on that horse's feet, he started cutting the toe back...and then got out his drimel and ground out the majority of this horse's toe. Pretty much the entire toe from 1/2 way down the hoof and around to each quarter was GONE! I was freaking out. LOL. My brother was like, 'Oh calm down...It's just a seedy toe. It will grow out and that will be the end of it.' Because ALL of the toe was gone, he had to nail on a shoe...and Ta-Daaahh...The horse was instantly sound.

    You know...I had people look at that foot the whole time it was growing out (about 8 months) and tell me that the hoof would n.e.v.e.r. be normal again and the horse would n.e.v.e.r. be sound without a shoe. They were all 100% WRONG!! The hoofwall grew out, I pulled his shoes the final time, trimmed him and he never needed shoes again (while I owned him) and never took a lame step.

    So, while it is a pain in the butt when it happens...It happens and luckily for Lilly, you were there to catch it early and treat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see some freaky pictures of seedy toes online... sounds like your palomino's hoof looked similar to some of those. It just looks SO scary! Seeing my horse's laminae was one of the most unnerving things ever!

      I hear people talk about how you shouldn't even rasp the hoof wall (which I do), and then to know sometimes it's necessary to use a DREMEL on the hoof wall to remove pieces of it and reveal the hoof "guts"?

      Can you tell I'm freaked out?! LOL

      I'm glad to hear your horse recovered 100%, and I'm hopeful Lilly's hoof grows out normal too. She seems to be doing better with the whole situation than I am!

      Delete
  3. You are doing a great job taking care of her. Things like this just happen. It's life with horses. Hopefully this doesn't get in the way of your summer plans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SillyPony. I don't think it will, assuming everything goes okay. As long as she's sound, I can always use her Mary Jane's and hopefully she'll be comfortable for the shows.

      Delete
  4. I don't know near enough about hoof repair, but what I do know is what makes the difference between a horse recovering from damage, and not recovering. You are there, and you are ON IT, making sure that she is getting what she needs to heal properly. So with that in mind I believe that she will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete