Friday I didn't have to work, and the contractors thought they were done (but they are NOT), so I had the day to myself. I drove out to the barn and spent hours with Lilly. We went for a ride, I groomed her really well, shaved off her goat hairs (guard hairs), and did some general maintenance work with the clippers. She looks like a million bucks! I also spent quite a bit of time on her hooves.
It was nice to just enjoy time with her, knowing I didn't have to rush to be somewhere at a certain time. We had a nice day together!
The seedy toe stuff on her left front hoof is all but gone. I'm so glad I was able to catch it in time and nip it in the bud. Her right hoof, however, is still giving me fits and I had to carve out some more hoof because she had another tiny crack at the top of the crater. I cut away the hoof wall and cleaned out the gross stuff inside, but it's clear the once per week soaking isn't cutting the mustard. The weather has been drier lately and I was hoping that would help, but it doesn't seem to be doing much good. With the drier weather, though, I won't feel as bad about soaking her hoof more often because it'll have time to dry out.
I started out riding her without boots, but I had to take her back to the barn to get her Mary Jane's (Renegade boots) so she could concentrate on me and not her ouchie toes. I'm not sure if she's still a bit sore from the seedy toe, or if she's foot sore because of the grass coming in. Her pasture is pretty sparse, so there isn't much grass to speak of, but it could still be having an impact on her hooves. I'm a bit bummed at this fairly extended setback, but such is life with a barefoot horse.
Our ride went pretty well after I got the boots. It was quite warm and she's pretty out of shape, so we didn't work too long, but I told her we need to get her back in shape for the show on Saturday. So much to do to get ready!
|Patiently waiting for me to stop taking pictures.|
|Lilly says she hates gnat season...|