Monday, July 1, 2013

Evicted

First of all, thanks so much for all your comments regarding the possible new place. Aside from the potential for my horse to develop into an absolute pudge, I was also concerned with laminitis, and to an extent, the cost. I've been doing a lot of thinking about whether or not I could make the pasture situation work and if this place would be a good fit. Your comments were quite helpful.

As it turns out, it was all kind of taken out of my hands. Saturday evening I received a text from the BO that said, "Big news at the barn! Be sure and stop by tomorrow to get your letter." I figured the letter said they had decided to sell, and wondered also if maybe they were going to ask us to leave. They are indeed asking us to leave, and they want everyone out by July 31st. Before, they talked about letting everyone stay until the place sold, but I guess something happened with one of the other boarders and they're just done with it all. I can understand where they're coming from. None of their horses are even there, and it's a lot of work to keep up a horse farm when you're not even reaping the reward of having your own horses there.

So it's time to go!

There was one other barn fairly local to me that I wanted to check out. I went over there this morning, and while the place is nice, they only turn out mares with other mares and that just won't work for me. They'll do individual turnout, but it's $50 extra per month. I got the impression I might be nickel and dimed to death there as well. They charge a $15 'grounds fee' if you have your trainer come out to give a lesson, for example. What's up with that??

Short of sitting around and waiting for something else to fall into my lap, which I don't have the option to do anymore, I have nowhere else to go. I've either boarded there already and left for one reason or another, won't board there because the place is run down or has a poor reputation, the place is too far away, or you'd have to be independently wealthy to board there.

So I went back to the super green pasture barn to chat with the owner and barn manager. We spoke at length about the green grass and they agreed to turn her out in the smaller 'rehab' paddock while they're getting her used to the grass. The owner is going to mow it down as close to the ground as he can and they'll transition her very slowly. We discussed a muzzle, but that'll be a last resort for me. If it's a must it's a must, but hopefully we won't need it. I'm also going to buy Lilly a Nibblenet since she certainly won't need much hay after being out on pasture all night. They said they like the 2" holes, but I'm going with the 1.25" to really slow her down.

The owner and the barn manager seem very knowledgeable and I trust that they'll take really good care of my girl. I'm going to be going on vacation a few times this month and I stressed how important it was that I feel comfortable with them taking care of Lilly. I know the barn manager from another barn I boarded at and I really like her, so that helps me feel better.

So tomorrow is moving day! I figure, why wait? I've learned that once you give your notice, places have a tendency to forget to take care of your horse. Not that my current place would do that, but I don't see any reason to hang around. Might as well get her over there, get her comfy, and that way she'll have time to settle before I leave next Wednesday for my first vacation.

Here's a picture of the inside of the barn. The place actually has 23 stalls, but they're only going to have about 6 boarders. Lilly's stall will be on the right, all the way down on the end. She'll be in the corner so she can see outside.

It's not soggy in here!
The outdoor is grass, which isn't my favorite, but it stays pretty dry and I figure I'll be doing a lot more riding in the indoor anyway. They don't allow jumping for insurance purposes, so I'll never have to worry about moving jumps out of my way ever again. The owner said he doesn't mind if I bring in some ground poles and cavalettis, but he doesn't want a jump course set up outside.

Outdoor
I guess this place used to be a pretty big deal and they had shows here all the time. The owner of the place is now 70 and his wife has terminal cancer, so he's really scaled back. They currently board two mares and two geldings. Both mares are draft horses... one Clydesdale and one Percheron cross, and the boys are a black QH and a giant, handsome Appy. Throw in a beautifully marked palomino Paint and we have a colorful barn!

I sure hope I like it here!

9 comments:

  1. I wish you lots of luck at your new place, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck... I've been contemplating whether or not to leave my own barn for awhile now and it's such a stressful decision, I don't know what i'd do if I got "the letter" one day. This place looks really nice though and I love the small boarder ratio.. total plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new place looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, time to go! I hope you love the new place. It would be wonderful to have an indoor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a move is always worrisome, but with so few options, it seems you have landed a good deal. The "pasture" looks pretty cropped and it sounds like the owner and barn manager understand your needs. Good luck! I know I love our indoor ring and I am similar to you ... last stall at end of the indoor - lots of light and air flow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason I have a good feeling about this move of yours, and I don't know why. I mean I don't know why I would have any feeling at all, but I have a strong good feeling. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the new place and a new chapter in your life :)

    ReplyDelete