Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Moving Day!

Today probably wasn't the best day to move Lilly to a new barn. The weather was NASTY and it rained the entire morning. Luckily, the monsoon rains didn't start until roughly 4 minutes after I pulled her off the trailer, but I wasn't able to unload any of my tack or get any cute pictures of our adventure. Last month was the second wettest June on record for North Carolina. The amount of rain we've had is unheard of. I'm not sure it's ever going to stop! Luckily I board at a barn with an indoor now, so I will learn to hate the rain a little bit less than I did yesterday.

Aside from the rain and the flooded streets, our move was uneventful. Lilly is an old pro at this sort of thing, and she's been at enough shows that she really could care less where she is. "Is there a hay bag in the stall? Oh, okay then!" She did have one minor freak out when I first walked her into the barn. It was pretty dark in there and I think she was having trouble adjusting her eyes to the darkness. She did the downward dog pose and stayed there for about 3 seconds trying to decide what the heck she was going to do with herself. Luckily I was able to talk her out of doing anything silly.

From then on, she was her normal, chill self, even though we couldn't hear ourselves think, thanks to the deluge of rain beating down on the barn roof. She never whinnied once and settled into her stall right away. None of the other horses whinnied at her either. They all just stood quietly snacking on hay. Everyone at the barn loves her and I think she's going to be very happy at her new place.

I did manage to snap one picture of her in the stall, but pictures of everything else will have to wait until there's sunshine... not sure when that'll be. Maybe next month.

New digs!
Because of the rain, she won't get any turnout time today, so she'll start her grass transition tomorrow, assuming it's dry. She's going to love her pasture for sure!

9 comments:

  1. And a new adventure begins....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited too! I wish I could have unpacked and settled in, but I'll find time over the next couple days. Then it'll really feel like home.

      Delete
  2. you didn't have an indoor before?!
    oh laaaaawd.... an indoor is pretty much my number one requirement. Welcome to the land of riding in whatever weather mother nature throws at you (although, from the sounds of it your an old pro at boarding at different barns, so i'm sure you've had an indoor along the way haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never had an indoor before... never ever! They're few and far between down here and they come at a premium price. It was always one of those "nice to have" things but not necessary. Very often I wished I had one, so I'm very excited that I do now! :)

      Delete
    2. I can't for the life of me remember where you are, but i've heard that in some areas Indoors come with a pretty crazy price tag. I still can't believe that though - welcome to the cushy life! ;)

      Up here in Canada-land, having no indoor means basically no riding throughout winter. It can be done, but with a lot of clothing, a lot of perserverence, and a lot of worry about ice and slipping haha. Although I definitely think indoors increase our boarding price, I don't think they make them unreasonable, which is nice.

      Delete
  3. What a smooth transition. Good girl, Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a calm, boring barn move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stall is huuuuuuuuuuuge! Glad the move went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete