Oh boy, have I been a slacker... for some reason I decided to plan EVERYTHING for the month of July, and I still have a week to go! While there's not much going on in Lilly land (she's happy, doing great, and I couldn't be more comfortable with her current barn), I wanted to at least take a moment and thank everyone who nominated me for the Liebster award!
I was nominated for this award once before, but it seems as though the rules have changed since then. This time you have to learn all about me, and I get to answer your questions! Thanks to Marissa Rose at Horseshoes and Hearts, and TBA at Thoroughbred Adventure for the nominations. Lilly and I are very thankful to you and all our followers.
How to accept the award:
The Liebster Blog Award is a way to recognize blogs who have less than 200 followers. Liebster is a German word that means beloved and valued. Here are the rules for accepting the award:
1. Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog.
2. List 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions given to you.
4. Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate.
5. Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or fewer followers to nominate and include links to their blogs.
6. Go to each blogger's page and let them know you have nominated them.
11 Facts About Me:
1. I am terrified of heights and have no plans to visit the Grand Canyon... ever.
2. I love tomatoes more than life itself. Campari tomatoes are my favorite and I think they're sweeter and more delicious than any dessert I've ever tasted. My husband thinks my love of tomatoes is unhealthy and slightly creepy, but I could eat nothing but tomatoes for the rest of my life and be a very happy lady.
3. I was in the Marine Corps for 4 years. It was the most challenging thing I've ever done, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
4. The only dessert I can successfully bake from scratch is cheesecake. I can whip up a mean, homemade cheesecake, but ask me to bake a pan of homemade brownies and you can forget it. You'll break a tooth.
5. I don't eat things that come from the sea. Shrimp, lobster, crab, fish... can't do it.
6. Since we're on the topic of food, I really, really wish I liked egg rolls. I keep trying them, and I keep deciding I still don't like them.
7. I worked at a Standardbred breeding farm when I was in high school. We used to stand a very aggressive stallion and he once picked me up by my shoulder with his teeth and slung me across the driveway. I never understood why anyone wanted to breed their mare to him.
8. I have seen very few of the so-called "classic" movies of my time. My friends hate talking to me about movies or famous lines from movies because I've never seen them. Name a classic movie... I bet I haven't seen it!
9. I'm very political. I won't tell you which side I'm on, but sometimes I get a little too passionate. I've lost two friends while discussing politics!
10. I don't own a single tube of lipstick. (Can you tell I'm running out of facts?)
11. I am a huge football fan, both college and professional. Go Steelers!
Questions from Marissa Rose:
1. What is your biggest accomplishment with horses?
When I showed 4-H, I leased a horse named Jack. He was awesome and we did everything from showmanship to english to jumping to dressage to driving and even speed classes. He was truly a "Jack of all trades". We won reserve champion in our division one year at the fair and I'm not sure much else can top that memory.
2. Do you have any hobbies apart from horses that you love?
I really enjoy bird watching, going shooting, gardening, and scrapbooking (although I hardly ever have time for that these days).
3. What is your ultimate goal that you are working towards with your horses?
Mostly to have a successful partnership with Lilly and to be successful in the show ring, but I'll know our hard work has paid off when we win a blue ribbon in a western pleasure class.
4. What is your favorite tv show?
5. What kind of music do you listen to?
I enjoy pretty much all kinds of music, but country is my favorite.
6. What is your personal love story? (With a husband/boyfriend/ex? If you don't want to go that deep, with a hobby? Or more obviously, with horses?)
I met my hubby at work when we both lived in Virginia. I sat by one of the only printers in the office and noticed he printed a LOT of papers. He later told me he was printing junk so he'd have an excuse to come see me. :)
7. What is your favorite love story? (Movie, books, etc?)
I love the movie Somewhere In Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. It's an oldie from 1980, but I just love it.
8. What is the most important thing to you when looking at a horse boarding facility? (Obviously our horses care is the first and foremost thing. So lets skip that one and be really picky and selfish. So basically what is your favorite thing at your barn that you couldn't live without, or the thing you most wish you had. Lighted arena? Indoor Arena? Covered tack area? Trail access?)
I think I've finally found that perfect barn! (knock on wood!) The only thing that could make it better is a smaller price tag. I finally have an indoor arena and that's something I've always wanted.
9. What is the most lavish thing you have ever had at a barn? Or, considering a lot of us board at something that is awesome for the horse and not so awesome for us, what do you wish you had in your wildest barn dream? (Air conditioned riders lounge? Heated tack area? Showers and lockers for riders? Couches?)
Ooh, showers would be super nice to have! An air conditioned/heated indoor would also be nice!
10. I think my questions have been pretty awesome, but I'm seriously running out of steam. Did you guys like my questions?
11. Who is your hero and why?
To every little girl, her father is her hero. My dad is definitely my hero, even now.
Questions from TBA:
1. What equestrian sport that you've never done before would you like to try?
Cutting. Those horses are amazing and I'd love to ride one someday.
2. If you could ride any horse (living or not), who would it be?
That's a tough one... I think I would probably choose Rugged Lark. I have always admired him.
3. If you could buy one tack item, no matter the expense, what would it be?
I'm quite practical when it comes to tack, so I'd be happy with a nice western show saddle.
4. Why did you start blogging and who in real life knows that you blog?
I started blogging to keep track of my progress with Lilly. I didn't think I would end up with many followers, but I'm so happy to have created this extended blog family! Mostly only my closest friends and family know I blog. I don't think any of them read this blog, though... except for my mom. Hi, mom! :)
5. Besides horses, what is your favorite hobby?
6. Second favorite animal? (horses are obviously your first :)
German Shepherd Dogs
7. Favorite color?
8. Least favorite equestrian fashion fad?
Tuxedo shirts with vests... although I wore my fair share of them!
9. Black or brown tack?
10.What is your favorite place to go besides the barn? (can be a travel destination or someplace close to you)
Anywhere with water. I love the beach!
11.Favorite food that you couldn't live without?
Since I'm late to the party, everyone has already been nominated and participated, but I at least wanted to thank those who nominated me and get their questions answered. Now you can all sleep easy having learned more about me than you probably ever wanted to know. :)