Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hurry Up, Wednesday!

Thank you for all the emails and comments on my last post. I enabled comment moderation just to be safe, but know that I read them all and it's comforting to know you all understand what I'm going through. I knew you would, which is why I just needed to vent to people who are like minded. Makes me feel less crazy.

I think I had a moment with the BO yesterday. He told me a story about something Lilly did when he was visiting her in the barn. Her stall door is a half door, but she's not quite tall enough to get her head over it completely, although she tries really hard. He said she's the only one in the barn that comes right over to see him, no matter what's going on in her stall. He said he was standing there with her, petting her gently, and she put her chin on his shoulder. He said they stood like that for a few moments before she moved her head down to see what he had in his shirt pocket. He said she's just so sweet, and he's never known a horse quite like her. He said he would do anything for her, and although he is still harassing me about the shoes, he said he just wants what's best for her. He even said he's going to strip her stall, have some screenings delivered, and build up the stall floor a bit so she can easily get her head over the door.

As frustrating as this place is, I know they're not being annoying just because. I know they just want what's best for the horses in their care, but they're going about it the wrong way. Perhaps they're not used to quite so much push back from horse owners, so they're frustrated with me too... I don't know. I think I turned a page with the BM, and now I'm hoping I turned a page with the BO. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm counting the days until my trimmer comes out. Lilly has been outside only during the day for most of this week, and while it's helped a little bit, she's still tender on the driveway. Hopefully I get some ideas from the trimmer, and perhaps we can cast her hooves again or something in the meantime so she can be more comfortable when she's moving around on harder surfaces.

I could sit here all day...
Until then, I visit Lilly every day to paint on some sole hardener, brush her, feed her cookies, and turn her back out. When she sees me pull in the driveway, she runs over to the gate nickering, and it makes my day.

10 comments:

  1. I totally understand where you are coming from even though I didn't read your password protected post. I endured the same thing from barn owners disagreeing with me keeping my horse barefoot although one was urging me to make her a broodmare because she wouldn't stay sound in shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we can all appreciate that they're trying to help, but after a while you get tired of them giving out the same suggestion over and over again. Sometimes people can be overbearing. I said no then, and I'm saying no now.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you're having a rough time. They should know you do the best for her and what you think is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It would be nice if they did that! I think they assume they know better, and it doesn't matter how many times I explain the situation, they just don't seem to actually pay attention.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They sure do! I am using Farrier's Fix because I heard a lot of great things about it, but Keratex is also very popular. I can't tell you if they actually work or not (kind of like fly spray) but it makes me feel good when I slather it on. :)

      Delete
  4. I wasn't actually able to read the post :( I tried emailing you but it kept bouncing back for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... that's odd! I can try to email you the post if you want to read it.

      Delete
  5. Just a thought grass has a lot of sugar and sugar makes their feet weaker. if possible put her out at night, less sugar overnight in the grass...you probably will have to succumb to shoes while at your current place since there is no option to get her off grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's part of the challenge... if she's out at night, the grass is super wet. If she's out during the day, there's more sugar. I'm trying to find out which is best/worst for her hooves.

      Delete