Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Back To Normal

Lilly has been at her new barn for five days now. She seems to be completely settled in and I haven't seen any signs of her being attached to her herd mates. That was the biggest issue we had when we boarded here before, and why I have tried so hard since then to find her individual turnout. Everyone keeps telling me she'll be much happier now that she has pasture buddies, and I hope she is, but I hope she doesn't get too attached to anyone or beat up too badly.

Me on the other hand, I'm nowhere near settled in. I only grabbed the necessities when we hauled her over on Friday, and my trailer is still packed full of stuff. The new barn has tack lockers, so I can't have my trunk with me, and that's where I keep everything. Today I wished I had my clippers, but they're far, far away, in my trailer, which is parked down the road in another field. One of these days I'll have to buckle down and get organized.

Now that things are back to normal, Lilly is happy, and I can breathe, it's time to focus in on the issues at hand. The first issue being her sore hooves (which is currently being addressed), and the other issue being the diarrhea that's decided to make a comeback. She was clean on Sunday, but today she had some lines of manure down her back legs again. It wasn't worth getting out the hose, but I did wet a towel and clean her up.

I'm seriously considering going back to the "less is more" plan. She's not on a bunch of stuff, but she's getting 1 lb of Enrich Plus, MSM, U-Gard, and SmartHoof. I have been thinking about cutting out all her supplements so that when my vet comes out on the first, we have a clearer picture of what's naturally going on in her body, rather than what's going on with her and all her supplements. The U-Gard might be helping some, but last week she was pretty nasty, so it's not helping as much as I thought. If I scale her back to nothing but her ration balancer, hay, and pasture, then it'll be easier to decide what we should add, rather than trying to decide what to tweak, remove, add, etc.

I wanted to take some pictures of her today so I can keep an eye on her weight and overall condition. She wasn't too enthused about the idea, but she obliged me. Sort of...

Looking very bored...
Showing just a little bit of life...
I love the dapples she gets when she starts shedding her summer coat. They're so pretty! She's not looking too pudgy, but she's put on a little bit of weight over the past couple months. She'll be going from a regular grass pasture (you know, like yard grass... the super green stuff) to a pasture that's bermuda grass in the spring and summer and overseeded with rye grass for the fall and winter. It's quite a change and I'm actually happy that the diarrhea started before the move, or I would wonder if it was simply from the change in her diet.

"Are we done now?"
So that's what I'm thinking... a complete "reboot". Start over with only what's absolutely necessary, decide what needs to change, and make the changes one at a time. That way we know what works, what doesn't work, and how it helps if it does work. I've tried a million different things to help her diarrhea, none of which has made any difference. Perhaps it couldn't work because of something else that was going on... I have no idea, but I'm game to try things I've tried in the past and see if it can possibly help now. I might find the same thing with regards to her hooves, who knows!

16 comments:

  1. That's not a bad idea at all. I think her weight looks good. She might be a bit overweight but I don't think it's anything to a dangerous extent. Maybe changing to this bermuda/rye grass field will actually help her feet. Would you mind doing a post and telling us everything you've already tried concerning her poopy problems?? Maybe we could put our brains together and give you additional ideas. My friend's yearling has had diarhea really since the day she was born. She's 16 months old now and still has it. The only thing that KINDA helped was Assure Plus. It made her poop more firm but it still was never the solid balls like regular horses. She is still dealing with it...it seems to be worse when she eats any other hay besides Bermuda hay - which is bizarre because Bermuda hay is kinda known for being crappy. Vet has done millions of work ups on her (becuase like you, she is sick of wiping her butt LOL) and there is never anything "wrong". It's quite a mystery just like Lilly's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The diarrhea thing is so frustrating, and I totally feel for your friend and her yearling. Does she get the messy drips down her backside like Lilly does too?

      I'll gather up all my posts on Lilly's diarrhea issues and go through them. I would love to hear opinions and ideas.

      Delete
  2. Happy to hear the new place seems to be working out.
    I think it's a great idea to cut all the supplements out and start over. Hopefully that helps you figure out what is going on with Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping... go back to square one, do some tests, and then start building on the basics to see what helps.

      Delete
  3. I like your plan. Then you can add things back and see what makes a difference - or if things get worse when you eliminate everything, then you'll find out something from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Kate. I hadn't thought of that... if things get worse I'll know something actually was helping, even if it didn't seem to!

      Delete
  4. Do you have a weight tape? I find them nice to have when monitoring gain/loss. I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't know anything about this! We have one pony mare at our barn that gets the runs. They switched her to Equine Senior from Kalm N EZ and she got better. She's also on some supplements but I'm not sure exactly what. Don't you wish what worked for one horse would work for another?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my weight tape on her today... thanks for the suggestion! It would make it so much easier if one thing could fix everyone's horse!

      Delete
  5. Starting from scratch is what I'm currently in the process of doing with my new horse. I'd much rather feed what he needs, than feed just to feed, ya know?

    On a side note, I will say that while Lilly isn't dangerously overweight, even a few extra pounds can make a difference when dealing with soundness issues in the legs/feet. Monitoring it closely, as you are, I think is a good idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it makes me feel better when I spend a ton of money on supplements, but I need to be realistic and figure out what's going on.

      My vet seems to prefer horses on the lighter side of the scale, so while I don't think Lilly is 'fat', my vet does. I agree, though, the lighter she is, the less she has to carry around on her thin soles.

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty girl. Good luck with these issues - I know you'll be fine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to comment on your last post but my computer was simply not allowing it haha - anyways, it was full of swear words and "those people are complete and utter idiots and borderline psychotic, so thank god you left", that's basically a summary. Anyways - glad you're in safer, greener pastures. In the end I do think horses are happier in group turn out, but I also sympathize with the worry that comes from it, the best you can do is let them figure out their hierarchy and hopefully they don't pick on eachother too much.

    Good luck with all these issues, i'm sure you guys will figure it out soon. You've always been such a champion for your girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! What you wanted to put into the comment form sounds about like what I was thinking too! I'm so glad to be out of there and somewhere else.

      Delete
  8. Good idea on the 'rebooting'.

    ...And such a pretty, pretty girl she is!!!

    ReplyDelete