Sunday, September 15, 2013

Proper X-Ray Pics

My vet sent over the x-rays from our appointment back on the 5th. Sole depth measurements aren't on these ones, but I don't want to be reminded how thin they are anyway.

Left Front
Right Front
I forgot to mention in my other posts that my vet said I did a really good job getting all the infection out of Lilly's seedy toe, so there's that little bit of positive news. Perhaps now we can just grow it out and be done with that chapter of our lives.

In other hoof related news, I spoke with another barefoot trimmer near my area and she's coming out on Wednesday to do an evaluation on Lilly. I have an appointment for the following week with my usual trimmer for casting, but I might cancel that depending on what happens when this new trimmer comes out. I spoke with her at length on the phone about what's been going on with Lilly, possible causes, and possible solutions. She seems very knowledgeable and I'm really looking forward to our appointment.

Like my vet, she suggested a grazing muzzle as one possible option to help with Lilly's soreness issues. I hate the thought of muzzling my horse... I don't like the idea of her being turned out with something on her face, and I would worry about it rubbing her. I could reduce her turnout time to reduce the amount of grass she ingests, but she really needs to be out and moving around. It would do more harm than good to keep her inside for longer periods of time, so it sounds like a muzzle might be something that's in her best interests. Over the weekend, the horses were switched from night turnout to day turnout, so she'll be on drier pasture, but the sugar content of the grass she's now eating will be higher, at least for a while until it starts to die back with the cooler fall temperature. I'm sure a muzzle would help quite a bit. I'm trying to think of it as a NibbleNet for grass. I just wish it didn't have to hang on her face.

Anyone used a grazing muzzle before?

6 comments:

  1. Grazing muzzles work very well, once the horse gets used to them. Some horses have no trouble with rubs (usually on the bottom of the jaw) from the muzzles, but properly adjusting the muzzle helps. Some people put fleece around the opening to reduce rubs, but this usually isn't needed. Most horses wearing them adjust well and don't seem to mind them, and it allows them to move and socialize and drink and still get a little bit of grass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My horses already feel like they are being tortured with the slow feed nets. I could just imagine what they would do if I went to grazing muzzles.

    Just out of curiosity, is she turned out everyday? Would it be possible to cut her back to every other day? Oh wait, I guess that would be the same theory as less hours a day.

    I am looking forward to hearing what your new bare foot trimmer says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive used a muzzle before but the problem was Milo is so crafty he got it off each time. Does Lilly get her fly mask off?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mare wore a muzzle from May through August this year. She is so food driven that it took her no time at all to figure out how to eat with it on. I didn't have any rubs on her at all, however I have her muzzle on a snug halter. The worst I had to deal with was cleaning the dirt and gunk out from the inside. I found that I really had to remove the human emotions from muzzling. Instead of feeling sorry for her, as she glared at me, I instead focused on the weight she was loosing, how much better she was moving, and how she just glowed overall. This also helped counter my negative-Nancy BO who "has never seen a horse have problems with grass - it's what they are meant to eat." Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muzzling might be the lessor of the evils.

    My understanding is the worst time for grazing (for possible IR / Cushings / metabolic problems) when the nights are cool and the day warms up a lot - fall weather. The grasses make tons of sugar then.

    Don't know if you've been to Rockley Farm's site. It's unabashedly barefoot promoting, but no matter what you choose to do about shoeing, there's lots of good info. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second the recommendation of the Rockley Farm site - they also have a very fine book on hooves that is visible on the site (I think - if you can't locate the name let me know).

    Another good resource is the Barefoot Horse Blog - here's a link to a recent post on the subject of footings:

    http://barefoothorseblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/help-my-horse-has-gone-footy.html

    ReplyDelete