Sunday, September 22, 2013

The End of My Rope

Well, I did it. I moved Lilly yet again. After what happened on Wednesday, and one other thing that happened on Thursday, I decided I was done being stressed out by the people who claim to care about my horse. Without going into too much detail, because I'm done with it all and I've moved on, I'll give you little taste of what went down on Wednesday.

The barn manager told me that she and the barn owner have a right and a responsibility to make sure the horses at their barn are taken care of. (I was with her up until that point...) She proceeded to tell me, however, that it was totally within their right to call their vet and farrier out to evaluate Lilly even without my permission. If the vet decided that Lilly needed shoes and pads, she could have her farrier put on shoes and pads. They would then send me the bill.

So essentially, one day I'd drive out to the barn and find a bill taped to my tack trunk and a pair of shoes on my horse.

So Thursday evening, I called around to a couple places, put in some requests to my friends to help me search, and ended up deciding to move to a barn I had boarded at previously. The reasons I left this particular barn weren't because I was having problems per se, it was because I found a barn that worked better for my situation. They keep small groups of mares together for turnout and I was trying to find individual turnout for Lilly. When I left, they told me if I ever wanted to come back, I was more than welcome to. He remembered me when I called, so I asked if I could move her out the next morning. He said absolutely.

So hubby and I headed over Friday morning to get Lilly. Normally I'm a strict, follow the rules kind of girl, and I always give a 30 day notice. Not this time. I was afraid of what might happen if I left her there for another 30 days with them knowing my plan was to haul her somewhere else. I was hoping no one would be there Friday morning, but the place was crawling with people. I was so nervous... my stomach had been feeling sick all morning and when we pulled in I was shaking. I was expecting a fight of some kind, but hubby got right to packing up my stuff and went to tell the BM and the BO that it wasn't working out and I was leaving. They weren't happy, but they said ok and watched us pack everything up. When I went to get Lilly, the BO left without saying a word to me and went to his house, and the BM said a brief good-bye to Lilly and we were out of there.

Prior to the move, Lilly was having one of her 'diarrhea episodes' and I had to wash her her behind Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. She had been doing pretty well up to that point, but the messiness came out of the blue. She was messy Friday morning too, but I wasn't about to waste time washing her before moving her out, so that's the first thing I did when we got to the new place.

Lovely flash photo in the wash stall.
They're still on night turnout, but I didn't want Lilly's first time outside to be in the dark, so we turned her out with the one pasture board mare. I was hoping they'd be friends by the time the other two mares (the two dominant mares) were turned out for the night.

Lilly wonders if Marly will be nice to her.
Marly wasn't interested in Lilly, and Lilly wasn't interested in Marly, so despite my best efforts to get them to greet each other, it didn't work. Finally I just removed her halter and let her go. She went off to eat grass and Marly just stood there staring at her. We watched them for a good 15 minutes and then decided to go finish unpacking. The funny thing is, Lilly and Marly were pastured together the last time Lilly was boarded here. Maybe they remember each other from last time?

Marly wants to know why this horse is in her pasture.
Staying just close enough, without being friendly.
When I checked on Lilly Friday morning, she had a gash on her hip and a hoof shaped cut on the back of her left hind leg. I really like having Lilly turned out alone, but it isn't always easy to find that kind of situation. When I checked on her today, she didn't have any new battle scars so I'm hoping the girls got it all worked out Friday night. She seems pretty content, and I think she remembers being here.

I found myself exhaling deep breaths all Friday afternoon. I didn't realize quite how badly I was stressing about the barn situation... it feels great to be out of there. Now I can concentrate on my horse and work on getting her better.

30 comments:

  1. So glad you made it out of there - your BM and BO were way out of bounds - it's not like you were neglecting your horse - you just weren't following their advice. Yuck.

    The loose manure may have some connection to the feet - if her gut isn't working properly or her gut flora are messed up, that can lead to foot issues. Have you tried daily probiotics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried probiotics on an off over the years without any luck. The tricky thing is, the loose manure comes and goes, so I'll find something I think is working and then one random day she'll have loose manure. So I never really know if what I'm using is helping her or not. It's all very frustrating.

      Delete
  2. Thats so annoying about how overbearing they were... I can imagine feeling relieved to be at a new barn.

    I have my pony boarded with three other horses, and while I do hate that sometimes they get into arguments, a lot of the time they do play...and I think its SO much better for her mentally to be with her small 'herd' than if she was alone. (of course since she's a mustang she might actually go crazy if she was alone...) But I think that even though you will have to deal with the occasional scrape, it usually is never as bad as the first few nights and then it's worth it for my horses happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the control freak in me will just have to let go. At least for now. She always had friends over the fence she could hang with, but I know it's not the same as being able to scratch and play with each other.

      A boarder at the new barn told me about how her mare had her leg broken when one of her pasture mates kicked her. That's the kind of stuff that scares me. I just prefer individual turnout because it keeps them so much safer.

      Delete
  3. That's ridiculous. I'm happy she's at a better barn. I can't imagine not having 100% control with my horse. YOU are her owner, NOT THEM. I hope this barn works out well.

    I agree with Kate, the diarrhea could be connected to her feet problems.

    Www.Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's all one big issue too... maybe the loose manure and digestive issues are keeping her from being able to absorb the minerals she needs for healthy hoof growth. Hopefully I can figure it all out!

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness you left.

    I was really hoping that you would, by the sounds of your recent posts. I appreciate that the BO and BM wanted the best for the horses in their care, but calling out a vet (and billing you) in a time sensitive emergency is totally different from deciding when and how to have farrier work done.

    I totally concur with Kate about the gut/feet connection. Probiotics and daily magnesium were key in improving Buckshot's health. (and cleanliness) I found the dietary recommendations in this book to be super helpful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probiotics didn't seem to help Lilly, but I'm going to try a bunch of stuff I already tried and see if I can make it work, or see if it'll help. I'm going to look for that book and see if I can find it. I read the Rockley Farm blog, so I imagine the book is just as helpful.

      Delete
  5. I endorse the comment about the Feet First book - it's by the folks who do the Rockley Farm barefoot rehab - it's got great sections on nutrition, minerals, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe they said they would shoe her and do what their vet/farrier felt was right. That is crazy... you were a very attentive owner. They have blinders on - see only one way (their way). I don't like large herds, but a herd of 3-5 is ideal (for me). I think they are much better mentally unless they have a mean alpha mare or gelding. I look forward to hearing how this goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the alpha I worry about, and the horror stories I've heard, but hopefully Lilly stays safe and happy.

      Delete
  7. Wow, we all want our barn people to look out for our horses, but that's crazy! Glad to hear you were able to find a place to go on such short notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was super nice of them to take me back in so quickly! A lot of places won't let you do that. Thank goodness they were!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! I can't believe they would actually have shoes put on your horse without your permission! What the heck? You know your horse and what is best for her! Glad to hear that you were able to get her out of there!! Hopefully this new "old" place will work out!! I am so thankful that I can keep my horses at home and not have to worry about all that stress. But I know not everyone can do that and that they have to find the best facility they can that will look out for their horses best interest, per the owner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope one day I'll be able to have my horses at home. The .8 acres I have now won't allow it (and neither will the HOA), but ONE DAY! :)

      Delete
  9. Holy cow. If I came out and found shoes on my horse and a bill taped to my tack trunk, I would have LOST MY SHIT. Who do they think they are?!?!? Good for you for moving Lilly, and I really really really hope that she'll be happy and healthy in her new digs, and that you'll be less stressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost my shit at their mere suggestion... I can only imagine what I would have done if they actually made it happen. Thanks, Jen!

      Delete
  10. Well crap, I'm glad you got out of that physco situation, but sorry you had to move again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an old pro at this moving thing. LOL

      Delete
  11. Holy Crap!!!!! I would kill someone that put shoes on my horse without my permission. I am so glad that you are out of there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! Me too... I was going to wait until the end of the month, but I just didn't think it was a good idea.

      Delete
  12. YAY!!! I am so proud of your decision!! Those people need to just straight up shove it. Nice they care about horses...but they need to spend their energy establishing a rescue and quit hassling people with perfectly healthy horses. UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashley! Maybe they'll learn something from our little encounter and the next people to move their horses in won't have to put up with what I did.

      Delete
  13. Glad you got out of there. It sounds kind of nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WoW!!!!

    Excellent choice to vacate as quickly as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What. The. F*ck???!!! Boarding sucks but that's insane. Lucky you to get her out so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have the worst luck with barns... can you throw some good luck my way? I'm hoping things work out this time around.

      Delete