Saturday, October 26, 2013

Low Key

I've been staying quite busy these days, and I don't make it out to the barn more often than once or twice a week. Normally that makes me feel terribly guilty, but I've been concentrating on socializing and spending time with my puppy, which is critical at this age, and I think Lilly is okay with it. I'm just relieved to have her at a barn that finally lets me breathe, with people I can trust. It has been the mental relief I have desperately needed, and I think Lilly is enjoying it too. She is doing fabulous and is all settled in with her new herd. Strangely, she's number 4 out of 5 on the hierarchy, but none of the mares she's with are mean just to be mean, so I'm thankful for that.

Enjoying the easy life.
Love my girl!
Her hooves continue to improve as well. She can walk up and down the stony path to her pasture without being uncomfortable, and isn't ouchy when I need to turn her around in the concrete wash pit. I think she's happy enough that I can start riding her in the arena again, with her boots at first, but it's quite sandy in there, so we might not need boots at all. We will on the trails for sure, but I'm just happy to be seeing improvement.

Speaking of my puppy, Rylee is doing super. She's so much fun and I'm so happy to have her in my life. She is quite mellow for a puppy (which is good) but she does have her moments, and sometimes she'll get a case of the zoomies, and when that happens we go outside and play with the flirt pole until her tongue is dragging the ground. It's been great for wearing her out, but also teaching her to 'wait' and 'leave it'. She has a pretty high prey drive, and the poor kitty gets no relief. Progress is being made, though!

Flirt poles are the best!
I hope everyone is enjoying the fall weather! I've seen snow in some places, but hopefully there are still some gorgeous, not sweltering, bug free days ahead!

5 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of a Flirt Pole before and I wondered what I would find when I googled it. That looks like the best toy ever, especially for hounds like the beagle I want to have someday.... when I have a yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the puppy and mare are well, so life is good. Glad Lilly's hooves are improving - that's great news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Lilly's doing so well! And your puppy is the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rylee is adorable! So happy to hear that Lilly is doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that age of puppy. They know a lot more but are still super fun!

    ReplyDelete