Thursday, October 31, 2013

Tests, Tests, Tests...

My vet came out today to draw blood for Lilly's IR test. It was a LOT more expensive than I thought it was going to be, but hey, it's only money right? At least now I'll know one way or another and I can move on to other things. We also finished out her fall vaccinations by giving her the Flu/Rhino vaccine. Cross your fingers that she isn't sick tomorrow!

My vet was actually very happy with Lilly's weight. I was surprised, as she always says she's too fat. Being the procrastinator that I am, I still haven't bought a muzzle yet, so she told me I could hold off on that. (Score!) She doesn't want Lilly to drop much more weight, so I'm going to tape her and keep an eye on things in case pigs fly and Lilly starts to look underweight. We could actually see a little bit of her ribcage and her neck isn't quite as plump. Looks like a change in the environment equals a happy pony and happy pony owner!

And in keeping with the test theme (and the diarrhea theme that seems so prevalent with my critters), Miss Rylee had an unscheduled visit to the vet on Monday so they could do another fecal test on her. On Thursday last week she had soft stool, but she's a puppy so everyone told me not to worry... it's a puppy thing. It continued to get worse all weekend, though, and when we got home from watching the Steelers game on Sunday with friends, I found a poop explosion in the bedroom. That's not just a puppy thing, so I called the vet first thing Monday and they got me right in.

She tested positive for giardia, which is an intestinal infection caused by the protozoan parasite giardia. Dogs can get an infection by eating other dog's poo, or drinking from infected water sources. I can guarantee you she didn't eat other dog's poo, and we have a tiny drain behind our house, but I don't know how it would have been contaminated. It's possible she picked it up from the vet's office when I took her the first time, or she might have even brought it home from the breeder's place.

Happier, less poopy times!
She was put on meds Monday for the "just in case" scenarios, and then Wednesday when the test results came back, she was put on some more meds. All her meds will be finished on Monday, and I'll need to give her a bath, wash all her stuff, and scrub the house from top to bottom. Reinfection is very possible, so I need to try and kill as many of those little buggers as possible. She's also quarantined because she's highly contagious, so no play dates or obedience classes for us this week.

Rylee's vet said she could play with dogs after she was done with her meds, and we could retest her in 1 month, but Lilly's vet said she wouldn't let Rylee play until she had a clean fecal. Otherwise she could still infect other dogs and that's the last thing I want. I'll be calling Rylee's vet tomorrow to ask her a few more questions.

The good news is, other than the diarrhea, Rylee is her happy, exuberant self, so we still get to play and have fun. We just have to take a lot of potty breaks.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, sick critters are the worst -- at least Rylee isn't feeling bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dog Elias had giardia right after we got him too. He was fine after a round of meds, but we were super careful not to let him drink out of puddles after that. I hope Rylee feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliot has gotten giardia as well. He had bloody diarrhea and I was scared so we took him to the ER vet. It cleared up in no time though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little yorkie had it when he was a puppy too! (last year) What a mess. It never came back, and the other dogs did not get it.

    ReplyDelete