Monday, January 20, 2014

2014 Goals

I've been going back and forth trying to decide whether or not I wanted to make goals for myself this year... and if I did, should I post them here? I feel as though being really positive and setting goals can sometimes backfire (it's Murphy's Law!), but I also feel as though staying positive can be a really good thing.

So what to do, what to do...

Normally I like to stick with black and white, cut and dry goals with some kind of metric. Either I met them or I didn't, but after giving it some thought, I decided to come up with a few unconventional, less specific goals for myself and Lilly this year, along with our usual goals. Here they are:

1. Go on a few trail rides this year - Showing is fun and I love it, but it's expensive, requires a lot of work, and can be quite stressful and time consuming. There are trails available at my boarding barn and many beautiful places to ride near to me. Lilly and I need to venture out and have some fun on the trails this year.

2. Obtain an APHA Certificate of Recognition in walk trot - This was a goal for 2013 that we didn't achieve, but we're only one point away, and I'm confident we'll get this done.

3. Accumulate four PAC points in showmanship - I set this bar fairly high last year, and while I still want to work on getting some more points in our favorite class, I'm trying to be a bit more realistic this year.

4. Be VERY diligent and mindful of what's happening in my horse's body. I hope to have a year full of ups, instead of downs, and I want Lilly to be healthy inside and out throughout the entire year. We'll be doing more tests, staying on top of any hoof issues and metabolic problems that arise, and trying to be more proactive instead of reactive. I'm armed with knowledge I didn't have last year, and I intend to use it wisely.

I hope 2014 is kind to us, and I hope it brings all of you good things as well!

Get ready, Lilly... 2014 is here!

5 comments:

  1. Great goals! I like that some of them aren't black and white, but more happy healthy ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm especially rooting for number 3 for reasons I'm sure you know.... ahem... jacket..ahem. LOL! You will HAVE to get someone to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your goals sound great! Also, Paddy approves of Lilly's lovely golden spots.

    ReplyDelete