Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Our First Ride of 2014

Yesterday was gorgeous! It was sunny, 64 degrees, and slightly breezy. It's been so cold that I wanted to just lay down in the sunshine and soak up all the warmth. Oh how I long for summer.

Today we're under a winter storm warning, but let's try to forget about that and instead remember how beautiful it was yesterday. It was a perfect day to hop on Lilly and take her for a quick spin, so that's what I did.

"Did you bring me cookies?"
Because she's so out of shape, I mostly just took her for a test drive. I tried out all the old buttons to make sure they still worked, and was probably only on her for about 15 minutes. She was excellent, and I'm happy to say the buttons all still work well... perhaps a little too well. She seemed a little extra sensitive, so I'll need to start riding her in the snaffle bridle.

Proof that I was actually on her back! That's me in the shadow!
I decided to ride her without boots too. She's been doing very well walking to and from the pasture, and the arena is SUPER soft and sandy, so I didn't think she'd have too much of an issue. Aside from the occasional stone, she jogged and loped around the arena without any problems. I'm sure if we're anywhere other than the arena, she'll need her boots, but she's made so much progress since August and I'm just thrilled.

The expressions I capture sometimes make me laugh. :)
My pretty girl.
It was such a fun day, and I'm looking forward to this horrible weather going away so we can get back into the swing of things. I'm trying to take her to a show on March 1st, but we'll need to get in a lot of riding between now and then to get her back into shape.

The mandatory selfie.
Also, I've decided to sell my Old Mac's. I just don't think I'm going to need them... the only time she wore them was to try them on, so they're brand new. They're a size 3 if anyone is interested in them.

Stay warm everyone!

13 comments:

  1. How much? I need 3's for my mare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day! Best wishes for surviving the bad weather - we're all going to be glad when spring finally gets here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter seems relentless this year for some reason!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me too! It's always nice to hop on and find them still working. LOL

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. For sure! It felt good to be back in the saddle!

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy for you! She looks beautiful and it sounds like she's feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been a long time coming for sure... she's doing great, though!

      Delete
  6. I am SO glad. I've been away a bit from the horse blog - not much going on at our barn as this weather is so crazy. Glad to see you are both doing well. I just love all the pony fuzz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much going on here either... the weather has been so bad I'm not sure I still live in North Carolina! Bring on the spring weather! :)

      Delete