Wednesday, April 23, 2014

EasyShoes!

When my trimmer was out last week, she mentioned that she was going to a clinic next month to learn all about EasyCare's new EasyShoe line. Ever since I first heard about them, I have been REALLY excited. I've been following their blog and reading everything I can get my hands on, and now that they're actually here, I'm even more excited. Knowing that my trimmer will know all about them and can help me pick out a pair and learn how to put them on makes me even more excited than I was before!

I hope I'm not disappointed...

There are 4 different styles, and they run about $41 per pair. Glue will have to be added to that cost, as well as some labor cost by my trimmer most likely, but I think it's still reasonable. It's been so long since Lilly has had shoes that I forget how much I used to pay for a set of fronts, but I'm sure it's comparable, and the benefits will be worth every penny. Supposedly they'll last through one trim cycle (3-6 weeks) but can't be reused unless you nail them on, and that's only with one of the four shoe types.

Choices!
Lilly has been making progress, but she's not in a position to be shown without boots... at least not at most arenas we go to. And I don't always know what the arena is going to look like even at the grounds we show at frequently. Is it going to be dragged ahead of time? Sometimes the arenas are nice, but the grounds are rocky or rough and we can't really find a nice place to warm up. Some of the shows I'd like to attend just plain won't allow boots (ahem, APHA), so those shows are out completely for us. I can do trail rides in boots, of course, but the one we went on recently killed my Renegades, and I'm always worried about how the boots are holding up.

The EasyShoe would give us the security of having shoes without having to go back to metal shoes. They glue on, so we wouldn't even have to put nail holes in her hooves. I could use them throughout the show season and then go back to bare once the show season was over.

Has anyone else been following the news about EasyShoes? Know anyone that has tried them? Love the idea? Hate the idea? I'm trying a pair as soon as my trimmer is back from the clinic!

16 comments:

  1. I actually saw those on their web page not to long ago. I too am intrigued of course. Also at the clinic I went to last week the facilitator was raving about the soft ride boots. Have you ever tried those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vet mentioned those to me a while back and I looked into them, but I think I was a little surprised by the cost. I don't know anyone who has them or uses them, but they're still on my radar.

      I was getting excited about not having to use boots. :)

      Delete
    2. If Cindy is talking about the Soft Ride boots that I see many rodeo/barrel racers use, they are just for hauling/standing in, not for riding in and I don't think I know of anyone who turns a horse out in them either.

      But it is possible there is a different brand, that is intended for riding in, that I am not aware of.

      Delete
  2. My barefoot farrier is not going to be working with them. She believes the cost is prohibitive. I too, was pretty excited. Not so much now, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well that makes me sad. I'll be curious to see what my trimmer says about them when she gets back from the clinic.

      Delete
  3. Check with the endurance people - they sometimes use glue on shoes I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check into that... see if they're using these types of shoes. They'd be a good resource for sure!

      Delete
  4. Funder has used glue-on shoes for some of her endurance rides. She would be an excellent resource to fill you in on costs and pros/cons.

    I

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cost is SO PROHIBITIVE.... I want to offer these to my clients but NOBODY wants them because of the cost. $41 a pair is awful compared to the $4 a pair of steels that a regular farrier pays as a supplier.
    That said, I was super excited to try them on O as I love the style. They stayed on her for a grand total of 8 miles before she ripped them off. She rips off everything though, so that's definitely a problem with her and not the shoe itself. I hope they work for you, everyone is raving about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like them in general? You said O rips off all her stuff, so taking that into consideration... were they easy to put on? Fit well? Work well?

      I have to try them at least once!

      Delete
    2. Yes, other than the fact that O rips EVERYTHING off I think they would have worked well. I didn't notice any difference in her comfort level, but she wasn't uncomfortable before. For a tender footed horse I bet they would be great.

      Delete
  6. Yikes, mixed reviews in the comments! I hope it works perfect for the Princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Maybe if they turn out to be more spendy than I think, I could use them for certain situations... assuming they work as advertised. :)

      Delete
  7. Fingers crossed that these work well for Ms. Lilly! It's definitely what I would use (despite the cost) if I had to go with shoes for any of my guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jen... the cost might just be worth it.

      Delete