Thursday, April 3, 2014

Trying A Raw Diet

After much research, both online and through the valued opinions of friends, I decided to switch Rylee over to a raw diet. Since she didn't do well on the chicken and rice anyway, and the boiled chicken isn't enough for her nutritionally, I decided to try raw. It's something I had been researching quite a bit before all this happened, but I wasn't quite ready to try it (and hadn't decided if I was going to try it at all). With everything going on, I figure now's the time... if I eliminate everything but a protein source, she should get back on track, hopefully sometime soon, and it'll be easier to find out what she's allergic to.

I'm starting her on chicken thighs, sans skin, to see how she does, and will probably add in some rabbit for variety. Rabbit is too lean, I guess, to be fed by itself for long periods of time, but they're both "easy" meats for their system. So Wednesday morning was her first raw meal.

"Hmmm... what is this stuff?"
I cut it up a little bit for her, although most people just toss them the whole thing. Since it was her first meal, I wanted to make it as easy for her as possible. She wasn't sure what to do with it at first... she just kind of licked it for a while, and then took a bite of the chicken. After that point it was game on, and she's been very excited about her meals since then.

Guarding her chicken bone.
Contrary to popular belief, chicken bones ARE okay for dogs, as long as they're not cooked. That's the case with most bones, but people usually feel leftover bones to their dogs that have been cooked, and those are the ones you have to be careful with as they can splinter.

She had a rough day yesterday as far as her diarrhea goes... she went in her crate, on my back porch, and a couple other times in the yard. She went often, but not very much at once. There should be much less waste with a raw diet, and I'm hoping (praying!) that she stabilizes soon and this will work out. I'm planning to feed her raw only for at least 3 weeks, unless something happens between now and then. After that, I may decide to keep her on a raw diet, or I may try a grain free kibble. There are also dehydrated natural diets (like The Honest Kitchen and Sojos) that might be worth trying. I'm still deciding and gathering data...

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like an excellent plan! The freeze-dried raw stuff will absolutely bankrupt you, though - I feed the cats one meal a day of freeze-dried raw cat food, because they're little tyrants, but I just can't afford to do it for Cersei. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice they're a bit spendy... although all these trips to the vet have about bankrupt me too. It'll be helpful when she's not considered a puppy anymore, because she'll eat a bit less then. That's one of the reasons I was waiting to try it...

      I got a sample of the Honest Kitchen for my cat she refused to eat it. She is also a tyrant!

      Delete
  2. Our dog did great on raw until one day he decided he was tired of it (he does this with EVERY food, eventually). I cut up the thighs into 3-4 pieces mostly so he could eat them w/out getting them everywhere. Raw chicken on the floor is not a cool thing. I hope it works for Rylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having her eat out in the back yard, but I don't suppose I'll be able to do that all the time. I'll need to invest in some Lysol wipes for the floor I guess. I'm glad to hear your dog did well on raw... I'm a little nervous about doing it.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure she will LOVE "Bill" too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Bill... it's not his fault he didn't have any testicles. I think he'll provide her with breakfast in the morning, and I'm sure she'll find him delicious! Thanks again!!

      Delete
  4. My dad is a fan of the raw diet and switched his dog a number of years ago. He keeps telling me I should switch but I admit I'm a little intimidated by it. Can't wait to hear how it works out for Rylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely intimidating, and I have a problem with researching like a mad woman... the more I read, the more scary it seemed. That's why I decided not to do it in the first place, but being forced into it makes me feel a little bit better about trying it.

      I'm glad to hear your dad is a fan. It seems everyone I know that feeds this way LOVES it, and their dogs are super healthy. Your dad would be a great resource for you if you ever wanted to try it.

      Delete