Saturday, April 26, 2014

Where's The Beef?

Rylee's raw diet is still going really well. I've been introducing her to some vegetables so I can add a bit of variety (and nutrients) to her diet. So far we've tried broccoli, cucumbers, kale, and carrots. I also gave her a strawberry the other day, but she wasn't impressed. I have to freeze all the veggies, thaw them, put them in the food processor, and grind them up into teeny tiny pieces so she can digest as much of them as possible.

Some of the raw feeders I've spoken to don't do veggies at all. Some of them do all kinds of veggies, and fruit too. Just like anything else, there are varying opinions on the subject. In the wild, dogs aren't strictly carnivores because they eat the animal's stomach and its contents. Those contents are mostly vegetative, and already mostly digested by the animal that ate them. So they do technically eat vegetables, although not by normal means, and I'm sure find nutrition from it. So I figure, what the heck. It's fun to introduce her to new things and she enjoys getting treats throughout the day.

We did run into an issue with the ground beef, though, so I've stopped feeding it to her. Her nose has been a bit dry since we went to raw, but because of the moisture content of the raw food, she's been drinking less water. I figured that's why her nose was drier, but then things steadily went downhill. Her nose started to get runny, and then got raw on the sides, and I also noticed the saggy part of her German Shepherd lips were also red and irritated. I started putting on some vitamin e, but it just made her lick her nose even more than usual, so I had to stop. After giving it some thought, I realized it really started getting bad when I began feeding her the beef. So to test my theory, I stopped giving her the bags with beef, switched her to the turkey bags instead, and her nose has been slowly clearing up. Her poo was also a little runny with the beef too, and she rolled around in the grass a lot after she ate. She's firmed up and stopped rolling around, so there's something not quite right with the beef.

Am I crazy to think it could be an issue because the cows were probably corn fed? Would she be ok on grass fed beef? Or maybe there's some kind of chemical in Walmart beef that she was having an issue with? I'm not too sad to see the beef crossed off my list just because of cost, but that makes two proteins I can't use... beef and rabbit. (she still won't eat the bunny... darn dog)

I took her to the barn with me the other day, but it didn't go very well. The horses were afraid of her and she was afraid of them. The horses got all "snorty" and ran around like loons, and she barked like crazy at them. The situation wasn't exactly under control, so maybe if I had another person to assist, she'd be better with Lilly. I plan on taking her with me to shows, so she better get used to it!

"What are those things?"
Lilly has an appointment with the vet on Monday to get some more vaccines and have her teeth floated. No doubt that'll be a fun day. :)

8 comments:

  1. Good on you for going the extra mile with Rylee's diet. :D
    The corn fed beef theory sounds plausible to me. I wonder though - does she eat chicken okay? Because isn't all commercial meat corn-fed to some degree anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Hmmm... you make a good point! Yeah, she's good with the chicken and turkey, and they probably are fed grains too. Guess my grain theory goes out the window!

      Delete
  2. Maybe it is the red dye in the beef that bothers her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe it's something IN the ground beef, and not the beef itself. Hmm...

      Delete
  3. I don't mean to completely gross you out, but Wal-Mart is one of the stores that uses "pink slime" in its ground beef. Google it if you want to know, it's really icky and full of chemicals. Ground beef definitely is NOT 100% actual ground beef the vast majority of the time. Chances are she's reacting to something in there - but good that you caught it and figured it out so quickly!

    I feed our dog veggies and he loves them. I figure that as long as it's not on the list of "things that are bad for dogs," a veggie scrap is probably way healthier for him than any commercial dog kibble. He always sits and stares at the cutting board when I'm chopping veggies for dinner... pretty sure he's thinking "drop it, drop itdropitdropitdropit!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late... grossed out! I'll have to try some beef that isn't ground up so I know it's 100% beef. Maybe she'll do ok on that.

      LOL! Rylee really seems to like the veggies too... and you're right, those veggies are definitely better than commercial kibble for sure!

      Delete
  4. We've got one who loves raw veggies as a snack and the other...not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the one that loves the veggies is just fine with that! LOL

      Delete