Sunday, July 6, 2014

Bad Dog!

So, this is what happens when hubby and I try to go away for a night to enjoy the Fourth of July festivities in our state's capital.

Oms, noms, noms...
I asked my neighborhood dog trainer lady to watch Rylee for the night so hubby and I could go downtown. She's helped me a lot with Rylee's training, and came over every day to help when Rylee was too little to hold her potty the whole time I was at work. She was also in charge of the obedience class we took a few months ago, so Rylee is quite familiar with her.

She came over Friday night around 11pm to let Rylee out to play and potty a bit, and then feed her dinner. She said she had a little bit of diarrhea, but everything else was fine. When she came back over at 8am Saturday morning, though, she found Rylee had destroyed her crate liner and all the pieces were missing. So, that means she ate them.

She's spent the night alone one other time and was fine (and crates really well), so I don't know if she was just super pissed this time, or what. I actually think that perhaps she was digging at the corner (like she does sometimes) and the liner cracked, which gave her a place to start chewing. When she destroys her toys, she does that... once she finds a weak spot, it doesn't stand a chance.

We'll never know exactly what happened, other than she ate a whole bunch of plastic.

So hubby and I wake up to frantic phone calls from the neighborhood dog trainer lady telling us what happened. So, of course, no long, hot shower at the hotel's expense, and no breakfast at the restaurant downstairs... we threw our stuff in our bags and hurried home.

Rylee seemed fine when we got home. She was SUPER happy to see me, although I gave her the stink eye and could tell she knew I wasn't pleased. I called the dog lady and we chatted a bit more, and I decided to call my vet to see what I should do. They told me a whole lot of nothing, as expected, so I decided I'd just watch her and see how things progressed. She was eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping, and I knew it would take a while for that stuff to start moving. It also didn't help that I didn't know when exactly she ate her liner. Was it midnight, or 7am? Also, did she swallow giant pieces, or did she chew her plastic liner like a lady? No idea.

All was well until about 2pm today. I'd been following her around like a hawk, watching her poop, and I finally saw plastic pieces... and a lot of blood. So I called the emergency vet and they told me I should probably bring her in for x-rays. So I tossed her in the truck and off we went.

Here are the x-rays of her tummy:

Right side belly
I circled in red the little pieces that the vet is concerned about. Those could be plastic pieces that aren't moving along as the others are. She said the plastic may or may not show up on the x-ray, depending on how thick they are, but since Rylee eats raw, those pieces could also simply be bones from her breakfast. She had a chicken thigh, and they look sort of bone-shaped to me, but it could also be a corner piece from the crate or something. There's also a lot of gas in there...

So tomorrow I call my regular vet and have more x-rays done to see if they still see anything in her tummy. Between now and then, no bones to eat so we know for sure if what we're seeing is bone or plastic. The plastic should not still be in her tummy after 48 hours, so if we still see something tomorrow, she'll need surgery to remove those pieces that are left. Hopefully it's just bone and the rest of the plastic is ripping its way through her intestines and colon, and will be out throughout the day tomorrow.

She also got some sub-q fluids for the diarrhea and metronidazole to help soothe her irritated digestive system. Oh, and on the plus side, I got a "free" hip displaysia analysis from the emergency vet... her hips look good! Yay...

Top view
And here I thought she was safe in her crate... I ordered a new crate liner Saturday morning, but I'm worried about putting it back in there. As it is, she can't have towels, blankets, beds, or anything soft because she shreds it, and now I can't even feel safe with just the plastic liner. ARGH!!

Hope, hope, hope the stuff in her tummy is just bone and not plastic. :(

10 comments:

  1. Awh :( I hope she does okay!! Bad puppy, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's lucky she's so darn cute!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Oh no! Poor girl. Sending good thoughts for no plastic in the tummy.
    The Clydes owner left one of the Borzois in the car this spring, and she ate the dashboard. Very pricey, both vet and car repair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, the dashboard? That sounds like a nightmare!

      Thanks, Terry!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I hope she's ok! I wonder if there is another kind of liner you can get that is a bit more Rylee proof? Titanium maybe! Hoping for the best tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'd probably break all her teeth and then I'd have to pay for dentures... LOL

      Thanks, Story!

      Delete
  4. My dog did the same thing as Rylee when she was that age (thankfully she ate a lost worse with no real harm...still does). We ended up getting a sheet of metal cut for the bottom of her kennel (otherwise she pulled up and ate the carpet underneath...), and had originally lined it with linoleum, super glued on...except she peeled the linoleum up and ate that too...

    The metal sheet she never destroyed, couldn't even bend it because of how thick it was, and it did a great job protecting the floor. That being said, the metal turned her white fur black...

    Just something to consider if you need. Halo chewed her metal kennel door for years and never broke a tooth ;) Hope Rylee is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this won't be our last encounter with things she shouldn't eat... but I hope eating her crate liner doesn't become a habit! I was trying to think of something else we could use on the floor, and metal would definitely be something she couldn't chew through... I'm sure she would eat anything we lined it with too.

      Why must dogs eat things that aren't food?!

      Thanks, Sand!

      Delete
  5. Oh my, that's awful! I really hope she's ok.

    I second the metal crate liner. I had one for the Lab puppy I raised, after she stared chewing on the plastic crate liner. I felt so bad that she couldn't have soft things in her crate, but better than constant trips to the vet for whatever she'd last eaten! WHYYYY must puppies eat EVERYTHING???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely exploring the metal crate liner option. I'm sure it's the best and safest way to go. I don't know why they feel the need to put everything in their mouth!

      Delete