Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hoof Progress

First, a Rylee update. I tried getting ahold of my vet the day after I took Rylee in, but they were too busy for us, and didn't return my call until the following day. By that time, the panic had dissipated and things with Rylee were going well. The general consensus with everyone I spoke with was that the x-rays were showing bone in her tummy and not plastic, which made me feel a lot better. She's doing great now, and I'm hoping we don't have to do this again anytime soon. She does have a new plastic crate pan, but I don't think she's going to eat this one... unless it cracks. So I'll keep an eye on the condition of it, and replace it as necessary.

STOP EATING THINGS THAT AREN'T FOOD!

Ok, moving on to Lilly. She's been doing really good these days. They're on a summer turnout schedule, so she's inside during the hot parts of the day and she seems to be enjoying that quite a bit. I enjoy it as well because I don't have to walk out to the pasture to get her. Lazy? A little bit.

My trimmer was out again today and Lilly's hooves got another positive report. She has stopped growing bar like a mad woman, is growing hoof wall, and has obvious signs of sole thickening. My trimmer feels like we're at a point where we can start pushing things a bit... up until now, it has been kind of an uphill battle, but now we've reached a plateau. She says we're "coasting", which means I can start working Lilly again.

She hasn't told me not to ride, but Lilly was still having some tenderness and I since I stay so busy with Rylee anyway, I've just been letting her rest. She's no longer dragging her back feet, has no soreness in her back, and seems like a happy, healthy girl. My trimmer wants to see how Lilly's feet handle some of the different terrain at the barn without boots, so trail rides are in our future!

It was overcast and rainy today, but I'll take some good hoof pictures when I'm out there next and post them here to show her awesome progress.

I've also been trying to keep an eye on her weight, which seems to be going up ever so slightly. I took this (crappy iPhone) picture of her the other day when I was out. She's looking only slightly preggers.

Getting a little belly...
I'm really trying to avoid doing the whole muzzle thing, so maybe with a few trail rides to get her moving, she'll drop a few pounds.


*Also... Rylee is getting her own blog. I'll still talk about her here some, but I want to focus more on the raw diet stuff, so I figure she needs her own spot. I'm still getting it set up, and have copied her posts over there, but feel free to check it out if you want. Rambunctious Rylee

3 comments:

  1. Hill work and lots of trotting made my horse drop weight and gain muscle in just a few rides. :) If you have hills, I would start trotting up them and then walking down as slowly as possible. It builds muscle so quickly and it's great for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear Rylee is doing well and I look forward to reading her blog. My horse has the slightly preggers look going on too. On the bright side, at least they are mares so you can use it as a pretend excuse. Geldings take more explaining lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I was wondering how Rylee was doing, and I'm thrilled to hear that Lilly's feet are improving. Her coat sure is dark too - I don't think I've ever seen it that dark. I haven't been riding Paj for fear of pulling that shoe, and I think he may be gaining a touch of weight too. Our colorful ponies have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete