Friday, September 26, 2014

We Go For A Ride!

It's been so long since I posted anything about Lilly... I've been so busy this summer... now that fall is here... blah blah blah. I just feel like skipping all of that and moving right along to the latest happenings.

There has been a lot going on in my life, but the biggest change is that I started a new job about a month ago. Well, I'm still doing the same job, but I'm no longer a contractor, which means I don't have to work weekends and holidays anymore. SUPER awesome for a number of reasons, including shows for next year. This year, it seemed most of my shows fell on the days I was working, so I won't have to worry about that anymore. I was also switched from evening shift to day shift, so I'm a day walker now. That means I can't go to the barn until the evenings, though, which is something I'm still getting used to.

One of the problems with visiting the barn in the evenings, is that when I get there, the horses are all being fed and turned out. They're still on the summer turnout schedule, so they're going outside around 5:30pm. I'm getting there around quarter after, and Lilly really isn't in the mood to be fussed with when her dinner is in her stall and her buddies are all going outside.

My attitude last night, however, was "too bad". We're going for a ride, mare. So I let her eat and then I saddled her up for a nice, easy ride on the trails behind the barn. For various reasons, I haven't ridden her since mid-March, and I've been dying to try her barefoot on the trails to see how she'd do. We've had a lot of rain, so I knew the ground would be nice and soft, and that would make it a little easier for her.

And we're off!

She was surprisingly well behaved. Not one whinny or tantrum when we lost sight of the barn and all her friends. I had prepared myself for a bit of a fight, but it never came. I was very happy with her. Her hooves did really well on the softer part of the trails, and also in the clearing with all the grass, but when she'd step on a tree root, or a pinecone, or some other random obstacle on her path, she was pretty tender footed. After gingerly walking over an area with stones, I decided we weren't quite ready for the big time yet, at least not out on the trails, so I'll need to get her boots out and get them going again.

I only took her about half way and then decided to head back to the barn. On our way back, she started doing her head shaking thing that she does when she's uncomfortable with her saddle. For you long time readers, you'll remember how she used to do this many years ago, but I haven't had an issue with it since buying this current saddle. I'm terribly frustrated right now, but I'm hoping it's more that she was uncomfortable on her feet and perhaps compensating somehow... or that she's just a bit overweight (she is) and the saddle wasn't fitting quite right. I adjusted it a couple times, but she wasn't happy with it. I took her back to the arena and rode her around bareback in there for a bit.

At one point, I was feeling brave stupid and decided to ask her to lope. She stepped right off and we had a nice little ride around the arena. She was super good. It makes me so happy that I can go 7 months without riding her, hop on, and enjoy a relaxing evening with her.

Smooches for my sweet girl.

One last thing... Renegades. For those of you with a pair of these monsters, are they ever the same after you adjust them? Can you actually get them to function once you 'break the seal' on the cables? I had to looosen mine up for the trail ride in March and they've never been the same since. The barn is planning another ride in November, but there's no way we can go without the boots. Any tips or tricks? I just can't seem to get my cables to stay tight anymore.

Hope you've all been well!

7 comments:

  1. Aw, yay for a good ride back! My mom's Appaloosa always starts shaking his head around if he hasn't been ridden in awhile. Maybe she's just excited to be back into work? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She shakes her head, and twitches her withers... and sometimes get's "sticky" when we're walking. She did it so much with the other saddles that I think she was telling me she was uncomfortable. Once I pulled off her saddle, she was a happy girl.

      It would be nice if it wasn't the case though! :)

      Delete
  2. Yay, glad to hear from you, and glad to hear that Lilly's doing well. No advice on the Renegades as we use Easyboots, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good good girl. You must be so proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm terrible for showing up at the barn just at feeding time. No matter how I make plans, there I am at feeding time again! Glad to hear you're back in the saddle. Hopefully you find more time to ride now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got a better schedule finally! Wow, mid-March is a long time ago - what a good mare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I've been wondering about yall!! Glad to see you and Lilly again! Def major brownie points for Lilly being such a good girl, it is a rare horse you can get on and just ride off after that much time and have FUN!

    ReplyDelete