Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Time To Upgrade

I haven't been into showing much these past couple years. The reasons are numerous, ranging from a little bit of burnout, to frustration, and into some personal issues that just left me without the energy to devote to showing, or really riding in general. Lilly and horses will always be my "happy place", but while I found comfort in her, I didn't have the urge to ride. I just wanted to be with her and not feel pressured to ride or perform or improve or anything else. I still feel like I'm working up to riding regularly again, and I'm not quite there yet.

I dove head first into showing this year because I have really missed it, I miss my horse show friends, and I only have to commit to one day of riding, so it's easy to talk myself into going. It gives me a chance to set goals, have fun, and enjoy Lilly in a social environment outside of our barn. Also, even though it's not "old" per se, Lilly is 15 this year and it makes me a little sad. I've had her since she was three months old and she's now FIFTEEN. Where in the world does the time go? Some would say these are the best years of her life, so I want to enjoy them with her, and not watch them pass us by.

Being fifteen definitely agrees with her. She is just so relaxed, so happy, and finally healthy. We're riding barefoot 90% of the time, she's not having diarrhea, her weight has evened out and she looks amazing... she's doing excellent on her ration balancer, hay, and no fuss lifestyle. Taking things back as close to nature as possible has done her well. Our boarding barn is as close to nature as I can get too, while still being able to enjoy some of the perks of stall boarding. She has a stall, but it's all open. She has a nice pasture with a bunch of friends and they all get along. She's not bound to any specific horse, either. In fact, they're bound to her, but she could care less. And she's with MARES. The whole environment is very relaxing, and we both love it. I can't remember the last time I've been (we've been) truly content with a barn like I am here.

She's just in an excellent place right now, and I'm very thankful for that. I'm not sure I could have handled the drama that sometimes comes with being Lilly's mom, while handling my own issues at the the same time. So I don't know if it's her age, or her location, or if she knew what I needed, but she's been the one source of calm and happy things for me.

Things are starting to even out in my life, and get back to what seems to be the new normal. It's a lot of work making time for Rylee and Lilly, and not being completely exhausted and worthless at work, but I'm getting it figured out. That being said, I'm ready to start taking this horse thing seriously again.


As my desire to show dwindled, so did my collection of horse show necessities. Here are some examples of what's happened to my horse show life:
  • I no longer own tall boots. I wear old, beat paddock boots and half chaps.
  • I no longer own a pair of proper breeches. I wear riding tights.
  • I can't remember the last time I wore my hunt coat.
  • I have a gorgeous showmanship outfit custom made by Sillypony I've never worn. I haven't even had the pants hemmed! Instead I show in jeans and a western button up shirt.
  • Lilly has a super long mane.
  • I have the ugliest western saddle on the planet. No bling, a torn up horn, dry rotted fenders, and it's paired with a very plain headstall to match.
None of those things are a big deal at open shows, but I do feel a little bit like a slacker these days. I'm in the market to do a little upgrading. I don't want to go crazy and buy a bunch of really expensive items, but I would like to dress myself and my horse properly again. A bridle with a little bit of silver, a pair of breeches that I can wear with my hunt coat, and a saddle that I'm not embarrassed to show in. The saddle will be the tricky part because she's so hard to fit, but I'm going to try.

I'd also like to try and be a better blogger. I've been keeping up with all of your blogs, and even though I don't comment much these days, I'm living vicariously through you all!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so with you. Gone is my desire to wear all the fancy stuff, although you should wear that showmanship outfit at LEAST once! ;) I am loving the Ranch Versatility shows. You'd fit right in with us. I'm showing in a training saddle... and winning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you with the show burn out and such. I think getting back down to basics and slowly building back up is a great way to get where you need to be!

    I have sold a lot of my show stuff as well, my beautiful chaps, my tall boots, I've got my Circle Y show saddle listed for sale AND (tears) I'm toying with the idea of selling my Les Vogt silver show bit (that I have absolutely no use for, but it's soooo purty). <---look at me blabbering on.

    Anyway, I basically just trail ride my mom's horse(s), and for now, I'm content with that! I hope you continue to blog as I enjoy keeping up with you and Lily. I'm happy to hear that she is healthy and that the barn life is going very well :)

    ReplyDelete