Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Saddle Is A Keeper!

As I mentioned in my last post, my saddle arrived a week ago Tuesday. It shipped MUCH faster than I thought it would, which is both good and bad. Good because I didn't have to wait very long, but bad because I only have a two week trial, and it rained the whole week! The true test was going to be this past Saturday at the show, because she would be wearing it for so long, but I did find a semi-dry day to take it over to the barn because I was dying to try it out. The arena was super wet, so I couldn't do much hard riding with her, but we took it for a short test ride anyway.

Looking showy!

I love how it fits her, and I love how it fits me. It's a 15.5" seat and the one I have now is a 16". It fits me way better and because it's nice and used, it's really broken in, which means it's extra comfy!  Lilly seemed to like it too, and she didn't show any signs of being uncomfortable when I was riding.

I took measurements of my old saddle to compare to the new one, and they're very similar. The problem area I had was in the shoulders, because Lilly is so wide there. She's also not very stoic, so if she's even slightly uncomfortable she lets me know. I was having a really difficult time finding something with full quarter horse bars, so it wouldn't pinch her. This one has a nice, wide tree, so I was hopeful it would be a keeper after Saturday's show. More on the show later, but I've decided to keep the saddle. She didn't show any of the usual signs she gives me when she's uncomfortable, and the saddle was on for several hours.

She's just so cute.

I'm so relieved to have found a saddle that is both presentable and fits my horse. I was starting to wonder if I was going to have to buy something not showy, and dress it up on my own. The wide tree on this older show saddle, seems to be the answer to my saddle prayers!

8 comments:

  1. Saddle fit can be so difficult, and the shoulder area is often a problem. Glad you and your mare agree that this one works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, me too!! It's been an absolute nightmare!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's a Crates something or other... advertised as a Crates show saddle. It's very comfy!

      Delete
  3. Looks great, glad she is happy with it.

    What are you doing with your old saddle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I plan on keeping it to use as a work saddle.

      Delete