Thursday, February 4, 2016

Gettin' in Shape!

I've been doing a lot of research on the best way to bring a horse back into shape, and like with anything else, there are a lot of opinions about it. Luckily, we're not coming off an injury or anything, so in theory, Lilly should be in some sort of shape from being turned out on pasture for 12 hours a day. Right?


I've been exercising her as much as my busy schedule allows trying to get her moving and working a bit. I've been doing a lot of in hand stuff (ground poles, small jumps, trail patterns) to get her mind going and get her picking up her feet. I've also been doing quite a bit of longing as well. She's great on the longe line and pretty much just plods around on the end of it. We've been doing a lot of jogging, and I toss in some loping every now and then.


It's great because it saves me quite a bit of time, and if I only have an hour or so, I can just groom her quick, grab the line, and take her to the arena. It's hard to work her into my schedule some days, but I know we both need it. It seems like my free days are plagued by rain, and my busy days are sunny and beautiful. Today is one of those days... I have free time after work, but it's going to rain all day.


Winter sucks... I'm ready for spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment