Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Hoof Pictures

I haven't posted hoof pictures in quite a while, but they've been looking really great! She always has hoof wall to trim when my trimmer is out, and I don't have any issues exercising her in the arena at the barn. She's just in a really great place with her hooves right now.

The only thing I've been having to deal with is her seedy toe. I think it's been an issue for us for almost 5 years, which is crazy to think about. I've tried recessing the hoof to open it all up, I've tried a less invasive method of just opening up the crack a tiny bit, I've soaked and soaked and soaked, packed with cotton and a mixture of athlete's foot cream and triple antibiotic ointment, and it's all done nothing but kind of keep the seedy toe from getting worse. I never saw improvement. My trimmer and I decided that she must just have some defect in her coffin bone that was keeping the connection from staying tight as her hoof grew out and that it was something we'd just always have to deal with. I was ok with that, as long as I could keep it from getting worse. Lilly has several maintenance issues, and we'd just add that to the list.

Several trim cycles ago, my trimmer mentioned that she had several clients that were having good luck with Durasole, and maybe it would help Lilly. We talked about it helping her soles more than anything, but thought perhaps it might help with the seedy toe as well, and I decided to give it a try. I can only find it online, and Valley Vet Supply seemed the best place to get it, so I bought at bottle. I used it on her hooves every time I was at the barn, and we always did a generous application after her trim. I made sure to squirt a bunch of it into her seedy toe, and concentrated on her white line and soles. The Durasole is different than some other hoof products because it isn't caustic and you can put it anywhere on the hoof and not worry about it. At first, I didn't notice anything spectacular, but she did shed some sole, and then she shed a little bit of frog.

Slowly over the next few trim cycles, though, I noticed the seedy toe and the crack growing out little by little. I didn't want to jinx myself, or get too excited about it, but at our last trim, which was about two weeks ago, the last remaining bit of crack was trimmed off. IT WAS ALL GONE! (Well, almost... there's still a defect in her hoof wall, and an area on the underside of her hoof that needs to grow out, but the actual crack itself is gone!)

It has to be from the Durasole... and I wish I had purchased that little $12 bottle of magic sooner! There are several factors that I need to consider with regards to her seedy toe, and it's possible it could still come back, as it's not totally gone, but I am so optimistic now that I'll be able grow out a totally healthy hoof wall, and keep the seedy toe at bay with regular applications of the Durasole.

No more seedy toe!!
Left front hoof.
Left front sole view.
Right front hoof.
Right front sole view... the hoof with the seedy toe.
Don't they look amazing?! I just can't believe how thick her hoof wall is, and there's not a crack to be found anywhere. I highly, highly recommend this stuff, both for healthy sole and hoof wall growth, but also for that persistent crack or trouble spot your horse might have on its hooves.

7 comments:

  1. They are looking really good! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really looking great! Glad you found something that worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Durasole is great stuff. I just wish it was easier to apply without getting your hands purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so messy with this stuff... trying to get it in all the cracks and crevices. I ended up buying a cheap pair of rubber garden gloves to use when I apply it.

      Delete
  4. Dude. That is awesome! I'm going to have to check that stuff out!

    ReplyDelete