Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Operation Pond Water

Operation pond water is a go!  It's in full swing as we speak. 

I hauled 5 gallons of pond water up from the pasture today with two mares hot on my heels.  "Whatcha doing with that water bucket?  Can we have a drink?"  It got really heavy, really quickly!  I know, I'm a wimp, but we need a pond that's closer to the barn!  :)

The salt didn't work.  I think it probably made him more thirsty, but he still didn't drink until he went outside to the pond.  He didn't seem interested in the Gatorade either, but I haven't tried the apple juice.  I figured he wouldn't bother with that either so I'd just switch over to pond water and see if he drinks that.  

I feed in the morning so I'll know exactly how much (if any) water AJ drinks tonight.  I'll be in trouble, though, if he only wants to drink pond water.  I don't think I'll be able to convince the others to haul up pond water...  And I'm not sure I'll be able to slowly switch him over from 100% pond water to hose water because he still gets to keep drinking pond water all day while he's outside.

But, who knows!  The boy just needs to drink!

I just confirmed that the nutritionist is still coming out out tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to what he has to say.  Hopefully I get some useful information!  

7 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that the pond water does the trick!

    Of course, if it does, the question is how to switch him over to normal water. I wonder if they make pond-water-flavored Gatorade?

    KIDDING! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he drinks it, maybe you could give him straight pond water for a few days, then mix in a little barn water for a few days and slowly wean him over to full barn water? OR if you can get him to drink the pond water with apple juice in it, maybe the apple juice would hide the barn water taste during the switch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh AJ, you're making life hard! Just drink the water, boy!

    I'll weigh Reggie's Senior when we get back home. Sniff sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might be on to something, Jen! Do you think there's a market for pond flavored Gatorade? I'd buy it!

    SillyPony, I'm not sure if I'll be able to slowly add hose water to his pond water and have him go along with it. Only because he gets to drink pond water all day outside, so he might continue to refuse. *sniff sniff* NOPE! Not pond water!!

    The apple juice thing might work, though... then both kinds would smell similarly like apples. Apple juice is more cost effective than Gatorade too. :)

    Perhaps if I just forbid everyone from scrubbing his bucket, and let it grow green stuff and get dirt in it from the dusty barn? Maybe he'll drink it then!

    Thanks Terry! I'm curious to see how much he gets as a maintenance amount.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always something, isn't it? I swear they do these things just to drive us insane! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a good horse mama! I can't believe you lugged that pond water to AJ, I sure hope he appreciates you, lol. If the pond water works, maybe you can just mix some in with regular hose water and gradually reduce in time...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Lilly convince AJ that it was his turn to cause me to lose sleep. :)

    Aww, thanks JJ!

    ReplyDelete